Thursday, May 14, 2015

Wolves of the Calla by Stephen King


A great book should leave you with many experiences, and slightly exhausted at the end. You live several lives while reading.
–William Styron

Another day has passed, another book has been read.  Last night I finally finished the Wolves of the Calla by Stephen King which is fifth book of his Dark Tower series.  It took me a little while to read it because first of all it has 700 pages, and second of all, I am super busy and don't have much time for reading even though I really want too.  Usually, by the time I'm able to pick up a book, it's night and I'm tired and I can't read for very long.

So far, I'm really enjoying the Dark Tower series.  At first I found it difficult to get into, because the first book in the series, The Gunslinger, was feeling very slow for me.  I picked it up several times but I've always put it away after a little while.  Last year I finally decided to stick with it no matter what, and eventually got past the slow point.  I should have known that was going to happen because King's books are like that sometimes.  You just have to  have patience and see the book through.

The second book in the series, The Drawing of The Three, completely pulled me in and just like that I was hooked on the series.

Wolves of the Calla was an excellent read, well developed and full of action.  I don't think there was a slow page in this book.  Here the story of Roland, Eddie, Susannah, Jake and Oy is continued as they slowly make their way to the Black Tower.  Along the way they happen upon the farming village of Calla Bryn Sturgis where they learn of the horrors the townsfolk have been going through for many generations.  Calla's children are being abducted once every generation by the masked and hooded Wolves from Thunderclap.  Only twins are being abducted, one of each set, and taken by the Wolves only to be returned months later, mentally handicapped, destined for much shortened and painful existence. Who these Wolves are and why are they ruining beautiful and bright children, nobody seems to know.

It's hard to read books like that as a mother without reflecting upon my own children and their well being.  Stories like this make me realize how grateful I am for all of my children and the fact that they are healthy and safe.

Now on to a new adventure.  No matter how little time I have, I'll keep plugging along.  Pick up another book and do my best to read it as much as I can every day.

I've been dying to read The Road by Cormac McCarthy for quite some time now, but I think I'll stop off at the Messenger by Lois Lowry first.  This book is next in The Giver quartet and rather tightly connected to the Gathering Blue I've read recently.  At only 169 pages this will be a quick and delightful read.

Namaste


5 comments:

  1. Seems quite a book to read. Pleased you enjoyed it
    Yvonne..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never read that book before, but I've watched quite a few of Stephen King's movies, which my favorite is "The Shining" which I've watched more than once.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Shinning is one of my favourite novels. I've never watched the movie though... I'm going to have to. :)

      Delete
  3. Stephen King was once my favorite author and probably still would be if I was still reading fiction on a regular basis. I do love his works.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete