Monday, May 18, 2015

Nibble Update


“Wildness reminds us what it means to be human, what we are connected to rather than what we are separate from.”
— Terry Tempest Williams



It's time for a little update about our little friend Nibble.  Remember him?

Nibble on the juneberry tree
He is still with us.  Efforts to try and reconnect him with his mother have failed.  Actually, to think of it, I'm seeing precious few squirrels around here these days. Have you noticed that life is always like that?  When you don't need something, it seems to be everywhere but when you do need it, it's nowhere to be found?

All things considered, it looks like we'll be playing squirrel parents for some time longer, although I'm not sure how long.  Nibble is definitely growing and getting more energetic by the day.  He is now nibbling on the walnuts and even tried to get the pistachio out of its shell although without much luck.  His most favourite food is still avocado though.  He is totally crazy for it.  I think I'm going to have to wean him off of it eventually because once he is out there, there will be no avocados lying around.  He has to learn to crack these nuts!

Nibble in the grass
Couple of times a day we take Nibble outside for his daily exercise. He runs really fast and has tendency to hide which is good but he doesn't want to climb the trees just yet. We have a short juneberry tree in our yard that we put Nibble on and most of the time he carefully lowers himself down to the ground.  I have hope however, because yesterday he made a dart for one of the taller branches.  

One of the best places for his daily exercise however, is the trampoline.  We have a big trampoline in our yard with a tall net.  I put Nibble on the net and he climbs up and down repeatedly. On the trampoline, his instinct is to go up and he usually gets to the tallest point and sits there for a while.  When he has had enough he comes to the edge of the trampoline and jumps on one of us. Yes, he jumps.  I'm a lot more optimistic about his future now. :D

Being a very young squirrel, most of his days are spent sleeping and I'm guessing he's doing most of his growing during sleep. I've noticed that he is most active during early morning hours, that's when he is rattling about in his cage, trying to pick a lock with his teeth.  He is a smart little one.

Nibble has made so much progress during his first week with us that I can't wait to see what the next week will bring.  Time will only tell.

Namaste

12 comments:

  1. This was a joy to read and those awesome pictures. I too love squirrels and still miss the ones I fed at my old apartment.
    When I was in Canada a few years ago I saw a black squirrel.
    Yvonne/.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Yvonne! I see some black squirrels around here as well.

      Delete
  2. Perhaps Nibble has a future as a trampoline Olympic champion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha ha Debra, thank you for the chuckle! :)

      Delete
  3. I'm assuming Nibbles will know when it's time to go, but he will return after a few moments, so don't disappear on him until he's ready to disappear on you. I have truly enjoyed reading this. It's so heartwarming and these moments when we can do good, instead of harm, for wildlife is its own reward. Thank you for your kindness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the thoughtful comment Lotta Joy. I will surely not disappear on him until he is ready to leave us for good. :)

      Delete
  4. This is a truly heartwarming tale, made more so by the fact that you are readying him for freedom rather than planning how to keep him captive. You have a big heart.

    Thank you for your kind words Kamyria; the family and I appreciated them. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're much welcome Jacqueline and thank you. :)

      Delete
  5. What a joy it was to read this post. Nibble is a little darling, and he is so blessed to have you to care for him.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had to scroll through your earlier posts to find the beginning of this story and I'm so glad I did because reading it put the biggest smile on my face. Nibble is so adorable and I think it's wonderful that you adopted him. Have a great rest of your week... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dee! I'm glad you read the whole story... Sometimes you just can't predict what's going to happen next... like the squirrel falling out of the tree for example. Have an awesome week friend, I'm glad to see you again! :)

      Delete