Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Nibble likes avocados


“Doubt … is an illness that comes from knowledge and leads to madness.” 
- Gustave Flaubert


Happy Wednesday my dear friends, middle of the week already!  Time is running away from me as usual.

Partially responsible for that is of course Nibble who's been taking a lot of our attention here lately.  I was very happy to find out that he is crazy for avocados, because that is one very nutritious fruit.  As I mentioned yesterday, I did get him some puppy milk replacement formula but he doesn't appear to like it very much.  I'm not worried about that though.  So far he's been peeing and pooping regularly so I'm guessing he is getting enough food and drink.

As the reality of raising a baby squirrel sets in, so do doubts and questions.  As cute and adorable as he is, he is not a toy and in order to live out there in the yard he has to grow and learn a lot of things. Things that I can only hope to be able to teach him.  The best of course would be to reunite him with his momma, and I am trying, but it's not looking so good.  I think the nest he was in got destroyed by the crows because I have not seen any movement on that tree since.

In order to get released back he's going to have to be able to chew, crack open the nuts, and be strong enough to jump.  He's going to have to learn to jump.  That doesn't seem like much but for him it is, and unfortunately I'm not a squirrel and I can't teach him everything he needs to learn.

All I can do is take it one day at a time and see how it goes.  Today I gave him some local twigs with young leaves in addition to the avocado and the water.  I was happy to see that he took an interest in the twig and tried to chew on it.  Squirrels supposed to chew on things... a lot.  Get these teeth sharp Nibble!

Later this week if he is still with us, I'll get him some nuts.  He's going to have to learn to chew on those sometime soon.

Namaste


3 comments:

  1. Sounds like your discovery of his love of avocado might be the way to help him learn to jump. Give him a bite, then let him sniff another bit but put it just slightly out of his reach... keep increasing the distance.
    It is a lovely thing, to see someone taking such good care of the beings around her. Good on you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an enchanting picture, I love nature and this was captured wonderfully.
    Yvonne,

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know you'll be the best foster Mom possible!

    ReplyDelete