Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Meet Little Nibble


Nature reserves the right to inflict upon her children the most terrifying jests. 
~Thornton Wilder


What a day we all had here yesterday.  Meet our new little friend: Nibble.


Nibble is a baby squirrel that fell out of the tree yesterday.  For real.  Here is the story:

I was tending to new emerging potato plants (yes!) when I heard a rustle in the nearby pine tree and then a terrible screech.  It was comparable to a wounded puppy.  I left my potatoes alone and walked up to the tree to investigate the racket.

I found something I've never seen before.  Up at the top of the tree there were two crows attacking a squirrel's nest and there was a baby squirrel hanging from the branch, holding on for dear life.  One of the crows swooped down and knocked the baby squirrel right off of the branch and the little thing fell from the top of the tree to the very bottom branch.  The crow immediately followed and so did I.  I grabbed the baby squirrel before the crow got to him (I think it's a him) and brought it inside the house with me.  I've seen a crow eat a baby rabbit before, so I knew what could happen to this little guy if I didn't hide him.

What a little sweetheart.

I've never cared for the baby squirrel so I looked up baby squirrel care on the internet and made him an electrolyte solution to keep him hydrated.  He can't drink it directly yet, so I've put the solution in the little shallow bowl and dipped cheesecloth in it to soak up the liquid.  When he is thirsty, he sucks on the cheesecloth.  It works pretty well, I can hear him swallowing. The cheesecloth is of all natural type so he is not sucking up anything harmful.


When Angelina came home she was both horrified of the story and thrilled to be able to see the baby squirrel up close and hold him.  I have to say, I have never seen a baby squirrel in real life either. What a wonderful life lesson.



Nibble was very taken with Angelina and enjoyed being held by her.  At one point he really wanted to climb on her leg so we let him.  As soon as he accomplished that, he promptly fell asleep.


This morning Nibble is doing great and just few minutes ago he peed on my shirt.  I was very happy to see this because that most likely means he is taking in his liquids and is not dehydrated.  I'll be leaving in few minutes to get him some milk at the pet store.  I've heard puppy replacement formula is good for baby squirrels.  He doesn't appear to be wanting solid foods yet as I offered a berry and a banana but without too much luck.  I've heard they love pine nuts and avocados, so I'll be trying that later on today.

Based on the fact that his eyes are open, he has teeth and looks like a miniature squirrel, I've estimated his age to be about 8 weeks.  That's still pretty young and  he has ways to go.

We will try to reunite him with his momma later today.  We've tried yesterday but without much luck.  If we don't find her, we will raise him and release him back to the yard when he is ready.

Namaste


14 comments:

  1. Wonderful post, I used to feed the squirrels in the garden where I used to live.
    I do miss them. The pictures are great to look at and the post so interesting to read.

    Yvonne.,

    ReplyDelete
  2. My daughter is very big on rescuing animals, from horses to a toad that got stepped on at the stables. She currently is successfully raising a baby squirrel she acquired much as you got yours. I will send you her email address, she can help you with the mechanics of what they eat and such.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kamyria, I could not find an email address for you on your profile. If you want me to put you in contact with my daughter, email me here harryflashman23@gmail. com.

    I will keep your email confidential, and tell my daughter to do the same. If you would rather not give anyone your email address, I understand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Harry! I'll email you later today. :)

      Delete
  4. You can now put Rescuer and Guardian Angel of Baby Squirrels on your C.V.!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha ha Yes Debra! Thank you :)

      Delete
  5. You were definitely in the right place at the right time Kamyria, and I'm so glad you have a kind heart; thank you for saving Nibbles. The photo of him, asleep on Angelina's leg, is absolutely precious!
    Now, however, my silly gene is kicking in, so I'm afraid I must ask: If Nibbles procreates in the future, would the babies be henceforth known as Niblets?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Thank you Jacqueline! Quite possibly yes! :D

      Delete
  6. He is so adorable and blessed to have you.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh, Kamyria. What ann experience! You truly have saved little Nibble's life! Imagine those dreadful crows attacking the nest. I do hope the Mama squirrel will take back her little lost one. You are so kind to help. Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susan. I will keep trying to reunite him with his mama. :)

      Delete
  8. My goodness, what a story! I think it's so sweet of you to take in Nibbles and I do love that name. I've never seen a baby squirrel either and I'm just thrilled that you were able to save him from those crows. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete