Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Blossoms, blossoms everywhere!


“The tree which moves some to tears of joy is in the eyes of others only a green thing that stands in the way. Some see nature all ridicule and deformity... and some scarce see nature at all. But to the eyes of the man of imagination, nature is imagination itself.” 
- William Blake


Good morning my dear friends and happy Hump Day!  It seems we are already half way through another work week.  And another beautiful week at that.

Oh, how much I love this time of the year.  The time when all the trees blossom at once.  It's quite an amazing sight.  Just a week ago most trees were still bare with only a faint promise of bud awakening.  Today, these buds have swelled and exploded bringing forth young leaves and in some cases the most beautiful florets.

I love all the trees in my yard, but if I was to pick a favourite, I would have to go with our Crimson King maple. It's the biggest and most beautiful tree we have with massive leaf coverage and a wonderful low lying branches which we like to climb onto every summer.  Yes, me too.  And I will do it again.  Angelina already accomplished that this past weekend.

Crimson King beginning to blossom
Every spring I'm waiting for this red maple to blossom and every year I find it breathtaking.  First the buds crack open.


Around the same time the young leaves emerge


And then the florets open up. Breathtaking beauty.


Another tree in my yard I wait for every year is the Juneberry.  It's also called the Saskatoon Berry or the Serviceberry.  What most people don't know is that the fruit it bears is not only edible, but very delicious. Once the fruit comes I'll share the experience with you all through a special post.

Here are the buds of the Juneberry just beginning to open up at the end of April.


After the weather warmed up they turned into this colourful feathery beauty.


And here are the florets today.  Each one of these little flowers will become a delicious berry.  In June, this tree is heavy with berries.


To be honest I still don't know all the trees that live on our property.  This next photo is of buds that I can't identify.  We have several of these trees and I have no idea what they are called.  I think this year I'll do some serious research to try and figure out what they are.  If you recognize these buds, please let me know.

Mystery tree
In front of the house we have a birch tree and three apple trees.  The apple trees are still very young and I'm hoping with all my heart that they will bloom this year.  We planted them in 2013 and after the crazy winter of 2014 only one of them had flowers.  They say that it's not uncommon for young apple trees to skip blooming a year after the transplant because transplanting is a stressful event in their lives.  I'm hoping this year will be better although the winter of 2015 might have stressed them out as well.

Apple tree 
Our birch tree is blossoming as well.  Both blossoms and leaves are emerging at the same time.


The only trees not blossoming yet are the locust trees.  These always come last.  The first year we moved in here I thought they were possibly dead.  Everything blossomed around them but they kept their buds tight.  This year is no different.

There is so much going on around here that I can't possibly include everything so I just focused on some of my favourites.  With every passing day there are more blossoms, more flowers and more life in general. With all the emerging plant life, the animals are also busy, preparing for the arrivals of their young ones.  I've already seen a neighbourhood skunk the other day.

Mother Nature, you are the most brilliant of all artists!

Namaste


6 comments:

  1. Your photos and photography is magnificent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great shots and well worth the trouble and expense that you had to go through...gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have silver maples here in the Blue Ridge, but they don't have any blossoms. We do have dogwoods, pink and white, that cover the mountains this time of year with their blooms. And we have a type of wild Lilly called a flame flower, bright orange, that springs up in the woods.

    You really have a nice location up there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We're nearly at the end of tree bloom season here, with only honey locust and catalpas yet to come. They like making a grand entrance, and I'm always happy to be in the audience for their show.
    Around here, the old folks used to layer honey locust pods and ripe persimmons in oak barrels, then let them ferment. Apparently it made quite a potent and flavourful 'beer'.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your post brought a happy memory. we had a tree in our front yard which every grandchild climbed in and was photographed in. I love spring and the warmer weather. Thanks for your visits and "follow".

    ReplyDelete