Tuesday, April 14, 2015

The signs of Spring in my yard


"And Spring arose on the garden fair,
Like the Spirit of Love felt everywhere;
And each flower and herb on Earth's dark breast
rose from the dreams of its wintry rest."
- Percy Bysshe Shelley, The Sensitive Plant


Good morning everyone!

Looks like we've been blessed with yet another beautiful day.  I have to pinch myself to believe it.

Yesterday I decided to grab my camera and explore my yard for the signs of spring.  With temperatures warming up in the past several days, I was sure I would find quite a few.

I was not wrong.

The signs were subtle but they were there.  They were not obvious, and sometimes I had to remove some dead leaves to the side to see the young sprouts because they are still so little.

One of the first plants in the garden to awaken every year are surely the strawberries.  No wonder. They have to grow, flower, bear fruit and ripen all by mid June.  They have a lot of work to do and not much time left.  They don't like wasting any time.

Strawberries

Bleeding hearts are among the earliest as well.  Once out, they grow very rapidly and bloom just as quick.  I love coming into the garden and observing their beautiful blooms against the morning sun.

Bleeding hearts

Day lillies have made their first appearance as well.  I have about five day lilly bushes in different parts of my garden and every year I add more.  What many people don't know is that day lillies are edible and quite wonderful in salads.  Angel and I love putting day lilly petals into our salads.  That's why every year I'm looking for more spots in my garden suitable for day lilly addition.

Day lilly

Ah, the trustworthy chives.  These are wonderful, completely maintenance free, "seems like nothing can kill them" kind of plant.  Right now they are well on their way out and soon enough I'll be able to add them to family dishes.

Chives

On my walk through the yard I checked all the trees as well.  None of them really started blooming yet although the juneberry is very close.  The neighbour's tree however, has beautiful big blooms already. The buds resemble that of a maple tree but I checked my own maple tree and mine still looks asleep. Every year this tree is the first to bloom around here and every year I forget to check what type it is by the time the leaves come out.  

Neighbour's mystery tree

On my deck there was another sign of the spring.  All my seedlings were outside, happily soaking up the sun in the fresh air.  They must be very satisfied.  The bright, warm deck is much better deal than the best window inside the house.

Tomato seedlings

To celebrate this amazing weather, I planted even more seeds yesterday.  Muncher cucumber, yellow bush beans and green bush beans are now in the soil and hopefully on their way to wake up and greet this wonderful world.  I put them in my office for the time being, the warmest place in the house, for a happy germination.  My office smells like Earth now. :D


Just as I was finishing my tour around the garden, Angelina came home from school. When I told her what I was doing she said there was one more sign of spring I have missed.  I asked her what it was.

"Dirty feet!" she exclaimed happily.

That's so true.  Throughout the spring and summer, Angel and I spend as much time as we can outdoors barefooted.  I love feeling the Earth beneath my feet, it's a connection that is very important to me, even sacred.  And often it does leave my feet dirty.

Namaste


5 comments:

  1. Spent some time at the park yesterday. Tomorrow I have class, but plan on packing my lunch and after class having lunch in the park. Today it's kind of dreary so I stayed indoors. Planted some of my herbs, Moon Flowers, and Forget Me Nots. Don't know how well they will do indoors, but it is worth a shot. Have a good one.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck with your plants Mary. I love Forget Me Nots. :)

      Delete
  2. I love bleeding hearts! One of my fave flowers and yes, always an early bloomer in the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel we don't only need soil for plants to grow, but for my soul as well.

    ReplyDelete