Saturday, April 18, 2015

Saturday Tea Talk


There is something in the nature of tea that leads us into a world of quiet contemplation of life. 
- Lin Yutang


Good morning my lovely friends and what a beautiful morning that is.  It's already 17°C with full sun.  Not a cloud in the sky.  Today looks like a gorgeous day in the making, and from the looks of the forecast, the last one for a little while.  Next week does not look great at all, rain and plunging temperatures.  Lets enjoy today while it's here.

After a week of rising early, this morning I slept in as I usually do on Saturday.  Oh goodness, did I ever need that sleep.  Now I'm going to make myself a cup of wonderful tea and open the back porch.

This morning I'm having milk oolong tea from Teavivre.  The full name is Taiwan Jin Xuan Milk Oolong Tea (flavoured).

The leaves look beautiful, all rolled up in little green balls.  The aroma of the dry leaves is exquisite: sweet and buttery.


I rinse the leaves with 85°C water first and let them sit for a minute to give the balls a chance to loosen up.  Following that, I steep the leaves for 2 minutes.

The resulting liquid is yellow with the same enticing sweet aroma as the dry leaves were.  The tea is delicious.  Sweet, milky and buttery flavours delight my taste buds and the flowery notes remind me it's oolong tea I'm drinking.  And since is a beautiful day outside, I'm drinking this tasty sophistication outside on my back porch.


I've had three types of milk oolong tea so far.  The very first one I tried was from Davids Tea, then I tried Mandala Tea and finally Teavivre.  Of all three I have to say I like Teavivre milk oolong the most but that's just my own personal opinion.

There is a confusion out there about milk oolong tea.  Some companies like to pretend that strong milky flavour of milk oolong is all natural with no flavourings added.  The truth is that although there is natural milk oolong tea and it does have milky flavour, this natural milky flavour is very subtle.  To get the milkiness that the people tend to associate with milk oolong tea, there has to be flavour added. Period.  That's why I like Teavivre because they are very straight forward about it.  They offer natural milk oolong tea and milk oolong tea flavoured and people can try both to see the difference for themselves.

And now that I'm seeing the bottom of my cup, I have to have myself another steep.  And of course take it outside because it's gorgeous out there.

Namaste


11 comments:

  1. I am enjoying all of your postings and I love the posts about tea...I enjoy a good cup of tea and I am going to try the one you mentioned here...thank you~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning. What a lovely Saturday we are having. I try to drink at least two cups of green tea a day. They say it is good for weight loss and I am on that journey. Have a wonderful day.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Mary... Yes, green tea has so many health benefits and one of them is weight loss. Enjoy your weekend. :)

      Delete
  3. I've never heard of milk oolong tea, but it sounds divine. I'll have to look for that the next time I'm at the grocery store... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you find it Dee.. it's worth trying :)

      Delete
  4. And what a gorgeous cup you're drinking it out of!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My favourite tea cup. My oldest daughter gave it to me on Mother's Day last year. :)

      Delete
  5. I have never heard of milk oolong tea...it sounds delicious. I must try to find some next time I go shopping. I'd love to try it.
    Yes, such a beautiful and unusual cup!

    I love your blog.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, thank you so much Ygraine and nice to meet you. You write some amazing poetry. :)

      Delete
  6. I have never heard of milk oolong tea...it sounds delicious. I must try to find some next time I go shopping. I'd love to try it.
    Yes, such a beautiful and unusual cup!

    I love your blog.:)

    ReplyDelete