Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Old MacDonald's Farm?


“Perhaps in the back of our minds we already understand, without all the science I've discussed, that something terribly wrong is happening. Our sustenance now comes from misery. We know that if someone offers to show us a film on how our meat is produced, it will be a horror film. We perhaps know more than we care to admit, keeping it down in the dark places of our memory-- disavowed. When we eat factory-farmed meat we live, literally, on tortured flesh. Increasingly, that tortured flesh is becoming our own.” 


I have been aware of how our meat is being produced for few years now.  I still remember the day the light bulb lit up over my head and the way I felt when I fully understood the horrors of what was happening.

As our children grow, we read them books about the happy cows grazing in the field, rambunctious pigs rolling in the mud and busy chickens pecking the grass. We sing them songs about Old MacDonald's Farm and erroneously make them believe that our food comes from these happy animals.

Nothing could be further from the truth.

In reality 98% of our meat comes not from operations such as Old MacDonald's Farm but from factory farms, just like the ones presented in the video below. All of the conventional supermarket meat comes from tortured animals who never step their foot on the green grass, who never feel the sun on their skin, who never see the blue sky or have the rain cool their body in the heat of the summer. 

I don't know the real solution to this problem and I'm not saying that we shouldn't eat eat meat.  I'm still an omnivore myself although I've been boycotting all conventional meat and dairy for the past several years. I think that if all of us who become aware of this unfortunate reality made adjustments to the way we shop for our food, what we consume and how much we consume, these filthy factory farms would go out of business.

It starts with each and every single one of us.  We can put a stop to this insanity.  We can find a small local organic farmer, learn to fish, learn to hunt (seriously) and last but not least, we can seriously reduce the amount of meat we're consuming, because I kid you not, we eat way too much of it.  All of these adjustments would make a huge difference if every single one of us contributed.

I watched many different videos on this topic.  I've seen the horrors that are happening at these factory farms and I've cried every time I watched one of these films.  I thought I've seen it all but every once in a while something new emerges that shocks me.

When I discovered this video few days ago, I knew I had to write this post and share what I found. First of all, I have never heard of or seen a factory farm cesspool before. Second, aerial view of these buildings reminded me of concentration camps.  There is something seriously sinister about it.

We have to keep spreading the awareness, we have to keep appealing to human conscience. We pride ourselves of being intelligent and compassionate beings and yet we are the worst savages this planet has seen.  It's never too late for redemption.

Namaste





3 comments:

  1. Oh Kamyria. That was so sad. Such terrible conditions for the poor pigs. Are you a vegetarian? Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. There was actually a time I turned vegan due to some of the things I've seen, perhaps it's time for me to return being vegan once again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have often considered being a vegetarian but I keep remembering how damn delicious animals are when they are when properly cooked and the savage in me wins out! I know I should feel bad about this but some primordial instinct prevents it.

    ReplyDelete