Thursday, April 23, 2015

Of Earth's Wrath and Thrift Shopping


“Sooner or later, we will have to recognize that the Earth has rights, too, to live without pollution. What mankind must know is that human beings cannot live without Mother Earth, but the planet can live without humans.” 
-- Evo Morales


What an Earth Day we had yesterday.  I think Mother Earth is angry with us humans and I can imagine rightly so.  We don't treat her well.  We give her one day in a year while she gives us 365.

What a miserable deal.

From rain to snow to hail and back to snow, that was our weather yesterday.  And cold too.  The temperature never got over 5°C.   Our Mother brought the Winter back on this Earth Day and she showed us.  And by the way, it's not over yet.

When I woke up this morning it was -1°C and lightly snowing.  At this time, some of the snow is still on the ground.

Due to Earth's wrath, I couldn't really enjoy hiking or working in the garden yesterday but I did want to honour her somehow so I visited our local thrift shop.  Many of my clothes are starting to wear out and will be needing replacement very soon.  Honouring Mother Earth by going to a thrift shop?  Yes, very much so.  Thrift shops are all about reusing, buying used instead of new, thus conserving Earth's resources. 

To my utter joy I was rewarded.  I found two tops that I like very much and both are in excellent condition.  Both are black but one is speckled with tiny purple polka dots.  Purple and black, two of my favourite colours for I am a goth at heart, you see.  Most of my clothes are black.

There was one more thing I found at the thrift shop yesterday and it put the biggest smile on my face. The Road by Cormac McCarthy is a book that I want to read and I even have the PDF copy of it but I have hard time reading digital fiction.  I've been thinking of getting the physical copy of this book once I'm done with Wolves of the Calla.  What is the chance that I'll walk up to a random bookshelf in the thrift shop and find that very book, just sitting there and waiting for me?

That's exactly what happened.  I was floored to say the least.  There on the shelf was The Road by Cormac McCarthy all for my taking.  And of course I took it.

I've noticed that The Road has been made into a movie and it is now available on Netflix.  I really want to see it but I have to read the book first.  For me the books always come first.  I can read the book and then watch the movie but not the other way around.  Now that I finally got the book, looks like I won't have to wait much longer.

The road awaits.

Namaste


8 comments:

  1. This was a fantastic read, really enjoyed it. Well done.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haven't read that book, but saw the movie years ago when it came out. It has Tom Hanks in it and I remember enjoying it. Enjoy both!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I can't wait to see it. I like Tom Hanks. :)

      Delete
  3. Beautiful flower shot. Yes, Mother Earth can really give us a reminder who is in charge can't she?
    So cool you found the book you wanted also by going and doing something in honor of Earth Day also!!!!
    -Lisa (with the ugly greenhouse, lol)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Lisa ... thank you for stopping by my blog. :) Ha ha ha I wish I had your greenhouse

      Delete
  4. Winter returned here today as well. No so, but cold enough for gloves. I love thrift shops. There is one in the senior center I used to attend, and I found a lot of lovely little angels there. And don't get me started on the Good Will in the city next to where I used to work. Loved it.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh I love going into the thrift shops and just browsing around... not necessarily buying but just rummaging through old stuff... Love doing it. :)

      Delete