Tuesday, April 7, 2015

My thoughts on Gathering Blue by Lois Lowry


"When it comes to controlling human beings there is no better instrument than lies. Because, you see, humans live by beliefs. And beliefs can be manipulated." 
Michael Ende


Good morning my friends and happy Tuesday!

I want to thank all of you that left a comment on my blog post yesterday for kind words about my daughter Sara and happy birthday wishes. She read the post yesterday and all the lovely comments and was very touched.  Bless you my friends.

Now that the Easter and the birthday celebrations are over, it's time to slow down, take a deep breath and settle back into the routine. For an introvert such as myself, this is actually a good thing.  No matter how much I'm enjoying the surrounding company, few days of running non stop errands and interacting with many people from morning til night, has its drawbacks.  I'm exhausted and in much need of recharging my batteries.  A little "Me Time" on the couch with a good book is something I very much need at this point.

Right before the Easter I finished Lois Lowry book Gathering Blue, which I wanted to read for quite some time.  It was on my "books to read as soon as possible" list.  I already read The Giver, which starts the quartet Gathering Blue is part of.  Gathering Blue is the companion book to The Giver and second book in the quartet.

The Gathering Blue is not long, only 241 pages and I devoured that in about 3-4 days.  It was a very easy read but at the same time very emotional if you are of a sensitive type, although not as intense as The Giver.  The book describes a dystopian society where less than perfect people are shunned and discarded, taken to the Field, and left for dead to the mercy of the "beasts" that are told to be roaming the woods surrounding the village.


"No one would desire Kira. No one ever had, except her mother. Often Katrina had told Kira the story of her birth–the birth of a fatherless girl with a twisted leg–and how her mother had fought to keep her alive.  
"They came to take you," Katrina said, whispering the story to her in the evening, in their cott, with the fire fed and glowing. "You were one day old, not yet named your one-syllable infant name–" 
"Kir." 
Yes, that's right: Kir. They brought me food and were going to take you away to the Field–" 
Kira shuddered. It was the way, the custom, and it was the merciful thing, to give an unnamed, imperfect infant back to the earth before its spirit had filled it and made it human. But it made her shudder."


Those that are are deemed worthy, are allowed to stay in the village provided that they contribute to the well being of the community, either through physical work or artistic talent which is very much sought after.

As Kira adjusts to a heartbreaking reality of life as an orphan after losing her mother, she undoubtedly learns that things are not always as they seem and darkness lurks in seemingly lit corners.  Slowly but surely, she sees her community for what it really is: evil and ruthless society which rejects the handicapped, imprisons the talent, hides the truth and kills those that try to expose it.

Gathering Blue was an excellent read.  Lois Lowry, once again made me stop and ponder the workings of a society and the extent to which we follow its rules, often blindly.  It demonstrated how important it is to always question everything around us and trust our gut when it tells us something is wrong.

The next book in the series is Messenger.  It's even shorter read than Gathering Blue and I will give it a quick read right after I'm done with Wolves of the Calla by Stephen King.

Have yourself a blessed day my friends.

Namaste


6 comments:

  1. This sounds like a very interesting book. Might have to borrow it from you someday. At this moment I have a few of my own to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a problem sis. Thank you for stopping by :)

      Delete
  2. I'm not familiar with this author but her books do indeed sound good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is only a second one by her that I read. She's got interesting ideas. :)

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a great book. I've never read any of her books, but this does sound like a book I would enjoy.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is. It makes you think and wonder. Thank you for stopping by Mary :)

      Delete