Friday, April 24, 2015

Happy Birthday Hercules!


I wish that I looked as good for my age as you look for your age, but I can't sit around licking my fur all day. 
Happy Birthday.


Good morning dear friends and Happy Friday!  Another week finished, another weekend to enjoy. And of course another Saturday to sleep in.  Ha ha ha.

Today is Hercules`s birthday and he is turning 5 years old.  I believe that is 37 in cat years.  I am 43 and he is quickly catching up with me.  In two years we will be the same age, I can hardly believe it.


I still remember the day we met Hercules as if it was yesterday.  Angel, my oldest daughter Sara and I went to the local animal shelter to look for a kitty we could adopt.  Deep down inside, I wanted a white and orange kitty, I'm not sure why but I did.  We were given access to the cages where they had little kittens and there he was.  Only one orange white kitty and he was beautiful.  He wasn't happy in the cage and when he saw us he started meowing and asking to be let out.

His name was Chip.  The lady in charge let him out of the cage and into my arms.  There was an instant bond and we all knew he was coming home with us.

I've named him Hercules because he seemed like Hercules to me even though he was very little. Over the years he lived up to his name by growing big and strong.  Even vet commented on how well Hercules's name fitted him.

I've pulled up several pictures from those early years for a little trip back in the memory lane.

He loved sleeping in my arms when he was a little kitten.  He was no different from a human baby in that respect.


Angelina loved Hercules from the start.  As she was just a little girl, she used to demonstrate her love by playing with him a lot.  Sometimes it was a dress-up game.  Even though I doubt he enjoyed it, he grew to be very patient with her.


Really, really patient.


When he wasn't playing dress up, Hercules was doing other things.  Like messing with my potted herbs.  In 2012 I was trying to grow some herbs through the winter but I was not having a lot of luck. There was just not enough light and Hercules agreed that we should just scrap the whole project and give him his window spot back. Part of me thinks he might have sabotaged my efforts just a little bit.


Hercules has been a sunshine in our lives from the moment he arrived.  I hope there are many, many more years of this sunshine left.

For his birthday this year he got a toy mouse which has been sitting in the catnip jar for over a day. He is crazy about catnip and so the gift was a great hit.  Other gifts include extra snacks and lots of hugs and kisses.  Happy Birthday Hercules!



15 comments:

  1. I used to have a cat and she was a great comfort to me when I became widowed.
    The last four years of her life she was diabetic and I had to give her 2 shots daily of insulin.
    We travelled miles as I had a caravan on a camp site and used to take her with me.
    It took three trains to get there but she loved it.

    I wish your cat Happy Birthday, awesome photos. my how the memories have suddenly come back.
    Great post.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Yvonne. I'm sorry about your losses. Hercules is always a great comfort to me when I'm feeling down or when I'm not well physically. :)

      Delete
  2. Pets add so much to the quality of life. My ferrets keep me company up here on this mountain top. Without them, I'd be lonely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do. I've never had ferrets, I think they would be an interesting and lovely companion. I love watching videos of them. :)

      Delete
  3. Hercules is a big handsome boy indeed! Happy birthday to him!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My cat friend Sugar a Burmese lived to be 19! I don't know how old that is in cat years but she was active right up to the last week of so. I miss her and haven't had the heart to get another. I don't want to die and leave them behind with no one to take care of them. I'll just feed my birds. When I pass they can go back to taking care of themselves. I have a son born in 1970! Thanks for being kind to this old man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, 19, that's amazing. That should be about 93 in cat years. I sure hope Hercules can live that long. Thank you for visiting Mr. Rat! :)

      Delete
  5. What a handsome kitty Hercules is. He carries his age very well :)
    Love the photos...all of them!!!
    Happy belated Birthday Hercules!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday, sweet and handsome Hercules! You look maaaaavalous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Adorable shots of your sweet 'fur person' ~ Beautiful!

    Happy Week to you,
    artmusedog and carol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carol! And thank you for stopping by. :)

      Delete
  8. Happy Birthday Hercules!! You are older than me!!

    ReplyDelete