Friday, April 17, 2015

Friday Kitty Corner


Cats are a mysterious kind of folk- there is more passing in their minds than we are aware of. 
- Sir Walter Scott


Good Morning my dear friends and Happy Friday!  It seems like it was only yesterday that I marvelled at the arrival of the weekend but that was one week ago.  Did we really blow through another week already?  Unbelievable.

This week we had a wonderful weather almost every day.  The weekend is looking pretty amazing too.  Last night we were blessed with few showers that continued through the night and into this morning, but the afternoon is forecasted to be a mix of sun and clouds with the balmy temperature of 20°C.

As a result, the kitty cats had a pretty good week as well.  They were out every afternoon nibbling on the new sprouts and soaking up the sun.

Speaking of kitty cats, I noticed something that I am quite happy about.  As Hercules is getting older, he is venturing out less and less opting to stay closer to home.  I am guessing that with increasing age, just like humans, cats mature and are less prone to risk taking.  Of course I know that some humans never really mature. ;D

The very first year we got Hercules we tried to keep him indoors the whole summer.  It was easier said than done because we live in the home and the back doors are always opened in the summer as we go in and out.  Try to keep a young kitty away from that.  It was very hard and he would cry and cry if we locked him out.  Instead I opted to take him out for short walks and got him accustomed to the leash.

The second summer, Hercules was out a little more and with a little more freedom.  I still had him on the leash most of the time but I did allow him to roam free at times.  He was a real hunter.  He chased everything that moved.  All the squirrels and chipmunks in our yard were on the alert.

When the third summer came I started him off on the leash and as the summer progressed I gave him more freedom.  I noticed that he was staying close to home either in our yard or in the neighbour's yard.  The neighbours got a new kitty that year and they would take the little fella out on the walk sometimes and so Hercules found himself a new friend.

Last summer we did not use the leash anymore and Hercules was allowed to go out and venture on his own because I noticed that he was staying close to home and when he wandered out of my sight and I called him, he usually came back within minutes.  We were both comfortable with this arrangement and Hercules had a wonderful summer.  Unfortunately at the end of the season he did find a trouble somewhere and didn't come back home for the night.  I was one tight ball of nerves until he returned and he was so traumatized by his experience, he didn't ask to come outside for the whole following week. One day I will tell you this story.

This year on April 24 Hercules will be turning 5 years old which is about 37 years in human years.  I can already see that this year he is even more home bound than last year.  I've been noticing that when I let him out, he wanders for a little bit, and then comes back inside the house without me calling him. He has never done that before.  Yesterday I let him out while I was working in the yard and when after a while I didn't see him, I called his name and went to look for him.  I found him inside the house sitting at the window.

This makes me very happy because I want the best of the both worlds for him.  I want him to be able to experience the outdoors when he needs it, get the fresh air and feel the sun against his skin but at the same time I want him to be as safe as possible and that can only happen if he stays on our property.

Looks like he is starting to agree with me.

Namaste



8 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading about Hercules. It's good to know that he doesn't stray too far from home anymore. Have a good weekend... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dee. Have a beautiful weekend as well :)

      Delete
  2. Sounds like Hercules is one smart cat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes and I hope he retains these smarts as the summer goes on. :)

      Delete
  3. If you think time moves fast now, wait until you get my age. LOL!!! Glad your kitty is sticking close to home. He's quite a beauty.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha ha... I can imagine... time is speeding up as we age, isn't it... Thank you for stopping by Mary :)

      Delete
  4. Oh Kamyria....Hercules looks SO SIMILAR to my beloved Honey Cat. She died last year on May 6 so her one year anniversary is coming up. My heart is still so broken over losing her. She was a darling kitty----17 years old. She had markings on her nose where Hercules does not. Enjoy your kitties while you have them. Losing them is a heartbreak. Susan ps Thanks for your visits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry about your beloved Honey. It's a heartbreak to lose them and especially after so many years. Wow... 17 years, that's a really ripe age for a kitty. Thank you for stopping by Susan. :)

      Delete