Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Earthing


“And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair” 
- Kahlil Gibran, The Prophet


What exactly is Earthing?

Earthing, also known as grounding, is a process during which a human body receives a charge of energy while being in direct contact with the Earth.

I briefly mentioned this subject in one of my blog posts few weeks back, but I think Earthing is so fascinating that it deserves it's own post.

I've always enjoyed being outside barefooted but I never really thought much about it and didn't know why it was making me feel better, it just did.  I always regarded it as one of those natural things and simply didn't give it much consideration.  

A year ago I became aware for the first time that this process of connecting with Earth had a name and there was an actual movement behind it.  Doctors, nurses, people from all walks of life were speaking on health benefits of grounding.  That got me thinking and made me really sad at the same time.  Earthing was something so simple, so basic and so natural and yet so foreign in today's modern world.  How miserable our civilization has become that a lot of people raise their eyebrows at a suggestion that the direct contact with Earth might be beneficial to our health and well being.

Up until very recently humans have been in contact with Mother Earth quite a bit via various means. Our shoes did not always have the rubber, non conductive soles most shoes have today and up until industrial revolution happened most families were involved in farming or some other Earth based occupation.   From spring to late fall, mothers, fathers and their kids would work in their gardens and on their farms being in contact with Earth the way every living being is meant to.

Today for most families in the western world and especially those living in the cities, staying in touch with Earth is nearly non existent. Some people go years without this direct contact.   It happened to me.  When I was younger and lived in the city, there are years when I can't remember once taking off my shoes and walking barefooted on the ground.  This cannot possibly be a good thing. Curiously enough, it is also the western world population that is the most unhealthy. Of course, lack of earthing is not the only reason for the declining health of our population but I do happen to think that it could be one of the factors, besides polluted food, bad eating habits and a lot of stress.

Earthing is very natural, very simple and when you get down to bare science it also makes a lot of sense. I don't want to get very technical in my post so I'll keep it very simple.  The Earth has a negative charge and the human body is positively charged.  Human body is full of pollutants and free radicals that have to be neutralized.  Earth can do that for us.  When we touch the Earth with any part of our bodies, we allow for the electron flow and the neutralization of free radicals to take place. We do not need the expensive lotions, potions and creams, or extravagant spas to make us feel whole. The basic act of walking barefooted on the ground or sinking our hands into the dirt is free and has profound impact on our well being.  It's really that simple.  We are the creatures of Earth, we need to get back in touch with it and not hide in our insulated footwear and concrete walls.



Few weeks ago I read an article about gardening which said that studies show that gardening helps to alleviate stress, anxiety and depression.  At the same time other studies have shown that Earthing has much of the same effect on people.  Isn't it just a common sense to say that there is a common denominator here?  It's the Earth.  When we garden we work directly with the soil and allow the beneficial electron transfer to happen.  We energize our bodies resulting in improved well being.

Next time you are in the park, go ahead and take off your shoes.  Let your bare feet touch the Earth and see how amazing that really feels. It feels so good because it's meant to be this way.  We are the children of Earth and we need our Mother's touch.

Namaste


9 comments:

  1. Oh BRAVO!!!
    Your wonderful post has reminded me of how I so often take our beautiful Earth for granted...I have to admit, it has been some time since I walked barefoot on the grass, and felt those amazing benefits of connection the the planet that supports us all!
    Now, thanks to you, all that is about to change.
    It is a beautiful sunny day...and as soon as I finish here, my shoes are coming off and I'm off out into the garden!

    Thank you so much for inspiring me...:)

    Have a great day! :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow, I feel honoured that my little post made a difference in your day today Ygraine. Thank you for your wonderful comment. I hope you enjoyed your walk. :)

      Delete
  2. This was pure magic reading your wonderful post. Well done on something I think is Excellent.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Yvonne. I'm so happy you enjoyed it. :)

      Delete
  3. I have walked barefoot since I took my first step :) It may be the fact that I was born down south where being barefoot is a part of living.
    What a refreshing post and I do hope that it will interest more people in natural healing and using Mother Earth for positive feedback in times of stress~

    Jan
    T

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I grew up in Eastern Europe and we spent a lot of time in Nature, walking barefooted and all. The forest was nearby and the beach 20 minutes away. When we moved to Canada and right in the middle of big city, the Nature went out the window. There was just no time, only school and work and park wasn't nearby. Today I look back at that and think it was insanity. I would never want to live this way again. I'm glad you enjoyed my post. Thank you for stopping by Jan. :)

      Delete
  4. Toesies love dirt and grass, it's true.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gosh Kamyria. I never go barefoot outdoors. I do inside the house. (Does that count?) But maybe I will this summer. Susan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Earthing is a great way to get in touch with the Earth's energy. Movement comes in small vibrations, and putting your bare feet on the ground can help allow the flow of those vibrations on your body. I hope a lot of bloggers will stumble upon your post like I did, Kamyria. I absolutely love your take on Earthing! Thanks for sharing that and all the best to you! :)

    Henry Schultz @ What Is Earthing

    ReplyDelete