Wednesday, March 4, 2015

The seeds have arrived!


It’s spring fever. That is what the name of it is. And when you’ve got it, you want — oh, you don’t quite know what it is you do want, but it just fairly makes your heart ache, you want it so! 
~Mark Twain


Oh yes!  At the height of yesterday's ice pellet storm, I went to the mailbox and found the package I was waiting for so anxiously.  My tomato seeds have arrived!

I've ordered two varieties.  The first is the Bush Beefsteak tomato which is an early variety with short bushy plants that yield a lot of good sized red tomatoes.  Tomatoes usually don't mature until the end of July and with the cool weather we've been having for the past couple of years, they don't really come in until middle of August. I think an early variety of tomato will be a great addition to my garden.

The second package contains Brandywine Red tomato seeds which is the heirloom variety and apparently one of the tastiest red tomatoes around.  I guess we'll have to grow them to see, but to tell you the truth, I don't think I've ever had a tomato that was not super tasty.  Home grown tomatoes are always incredibly tasty so I'm not really worried.  I'm happy I got the heirloom seeds because I've been meaning to save the seeds from my tomatoes to have my own seeds for the next year's planting. When saving seeds it's important that the seeds are heirloom and not hybrid variety because only heirloom seeds will produce the seedlings that are exactly the same as the parent plant.  Hybrid plants are crosses between different varieties and their seeds are not guaranteed to produce the same seedlings as the parent plant.  Eventually I want to plant only my own seeds without the need to buy any.

Now that the seeds have arrived, I pretty much have everything ready to get going for the planting.  I think I'm going to wait another couple of weeks before I start though, just to make sure there is enough light available to the seedlings once they begin to break through the surface of the soil.  If seeds are planted too early and the seedlings don't get enough light, they will grow long and spindly with weak stems and will not work out all that well. Middle of March should be fine though.

My dad surprised me when he came over for Angelina's birthday and brought me whole bunch of little pots for planting.  I have a lot of those of my own but they are in the shed and the shed door is encased in snow and ice presently.  I'm not sure how much melting we are going to see over the next week or two, so it's nice to know that I have all these containers ready to go.

Thank you Daddy!

And yes, I have the spring fever now.  My fingers are itching to get going.  I want to plant!

I made a little video of my seed vault yesterday when I brought the seeds from the mailbox.  It was like going through a toy box.  So much fun, so many seeds to play with!  I hope you enjoy it.

Cheers!






2 comments: