Thursday, March 19, 2015

The first seeds have been planted


It was such a pleasure to sink one's hands into the warm earth, to feel at one's fingertips the possibilities of the new season. 
~Kate Morton, The Forgotten Garden


Happy Thursday everyone, I hope you're all enjoying a beautiful and peaceful start to the day.  I woke up earlier this morning just in time to witness a breathtaking sunrise which I am very grateful for.  I love watching the sun slowly travel through the morning sky and rise the world from its slumber. 

On Tuesday I went ahead and planted some of my first seeds.  It was fairly warm and sunny outside so I took the soil and my seeds and ventured out onto the deck to play in the dirt.  I brought the soil in from the garden several days ago and kept it inside to defrost and warm up.  Now everything was ready to go.


I planted three types of tomatoes, two types of kale and two types of lettuce.  It felt wonderful to sink my hands into the soil and feel its energy once again.  It made me realize how much I miss my garden, the life, the chatter and everything that comes with it.  I am completely down with the spring fever.


Kitty cats were of course there with us, enjoying the sun and the warmer weather.  Hercules was still very dissatisfied with the snow and tried finding a way to get to some of his favourite spots in the garden without getting his paws wet.  He was not very successful and so he spent most of the time on the deck.


I put the planted seeds in my office for now.  It's nice and warm there which is important especially for the tomatoes which need temperature over 21°C to germinate.  My office is an ideal spot for them. Kale and lettuce are not as demanding as they are both cool weather crops but do appreciate temperature of 20°C or slightly over.  In the afternoon my office fills with a wonderful sun which brings the temperature up and the tomatoes will love it.  Now the wait begins. 


I decided to keep a detailed journal of my planting activities this year.  I did that two years ago and it was quite helpful but for some reason I abandoned the idea last year.  Now I wish I haven't.  There are some things I wish I remembered from last year's gardening that I don't and a journal would come in very handy.  Oh well, what's done is done but at least I will have one to assist me next spring. 


I still consider myself a beginner to food growing because lets face it, few years is hardly enough to learn everything inside and out.  Every year I try something new, grow a new crop, find a new spot in the garden to plant and I think it's very important to record all these activities and the results.  It leaves much less space for guesswork.

Namaste

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like you know what you are doing to me. I tried a garden experiment last year but a big rain storm washed it all away. We are going to try again this Spring. There are some real experts on the web, like Tania in Australia, Dani in South Africa, Kymber in Canada and a bunch more. I have picked up some tips from them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Harry. I wish you luck with your garden this year. Hopefully it works this time :)

      Delete
  2. It's a beautiful day out there today, cold but sunny. Oh how I wish I still had my outdoor garden. That's the one thing I miss now that I am living in a building. My backyard. But, I've got quite a few houseplants now and plan an herb garden in my kitchen window. Keeping my fingers crossed for this year.

    Have a wonderful weekend.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have fun with your herb garden, I hope everything grows just like you want it to. I have a garden but I don't really have any houseplants inside.. except for those that overwinter inside the house but I put them out as soon as the temperature warms. :)

      Delete
  3. Good for you planting a garden, Kamyria. That takes patience and perseverance. Hope your plants grow like the wind. Susan

    ReplyDelete