Monday, March 2, 2015

The Dream Journal

"Dreams are the touchstones of our characters." 
- Henry David Thoreau


I am fascinated by dreams. Three years ago I started a dream journal in which I recorded my dreams whenever I happened to remember one. Sometimes it was everyday and sometimes I would go few days without an entry.

Writing them down was not always easy.  Dreams are extremely fleeting and the moment one awakes, the details begin to slip away at the speed of light.  I kept a dedicated journal and a pen right by my bedside and the moment I felt myself awake, I would reach for it and write down as much as I could possibly remember. Sometimes that was in the middle of the night.

Over the years I stopped and restarted my dream keeping several times but the book is always there, right on my night stand, ready to receive another entry.  Recently I picked it up again and for the past several days I've been recording my dreams.  Once again I'm hooked.

To me dreams are like a nightly adventure.  Even though we power down and our bodies lie unconscious and still in our beds every night, we are far from doing nothing.  We exit this earthly plane and cross into another dimension.  We have places to go, people to see, new friends to discover and sometimes unbelievable things to do.

Just yesterday I woke up from a dream in which I walked barefooted in the snow.  Right there and then I knew that throughout this harsh winter, I have lost connection with Mother Earth.  I miss walking barefooted on the ground.  I decided to bring this dream into reality and while my house was filled with all my kids who came to celebrate Angelina's birthday, I proposed that we all take off our socks and run outside barefooted.  Two of my older kids took me up on the offer and we made it happen.  The snow was soft and cold and burned our feet.  Only a short run out the door and back and we couldn't feel our toes but we had so much fun.  We were still laughing about it late last night. My dream enriched my waking life yesterday.

Science doesn't know with any certainty why we sleep and even less is understood about dreams. Why do we dream?  Nobody seems to know for sure, but I have no doubt dreams play an important part in our lives.  I find it interesting that some people dream a lot and others don't seem to be aware of any dreaming at all.  They still dream, all humans dream but they do not remember it.  I happen to dream very intensively, I've always been this way, and I still remember some of the dreams from my childhood even.  Dreams are an important part of my life, my psyche and my overall well being.

If someone asked me why I want to keep a dream journal I wouldn't be able to explain.  Many years ago when I started it was to help me become lucid in my dreams.  I succeeded to an extent and had a lot of fun in the process. Today it's not about that at all.  For some reason I just want to get closer to my dreams; I find the subject matter enchanting.

How about you dear friend?  Do you dream?  Do you ever wonder what your dreams mean?  Have you ever kept a dream journal?


4 comments:

  1. You know, Kamyria, I have (and currently do) kept various journals but I've never done a dream journal. Nope. I know I must dream but I usually don't remember them. . I'm glad you enjoy your journal. Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susan. I've tried keeping other journals too but I find it hard to write in them consistently. I keep abandoning my journals. :D

      Delete
  2. I used to keep a dream journal for many years, but lately just haven't had the time to write in it. They are a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they are. I enjoy mine so much. :)

      Delete