Friday, March 13, 2015

On March break, slumber time and kitty love


“What's your name,' Coraline asked the cat. 'Look, I'm Coraline. Okay?'
'Cats don't have names,' it said.
'No?' said Coraline.
'No,' said the cat. 'Now you people have names. That's because you don't know who you are. We know who we are, so we don't need names.” 
- Neil Gaiman, Coraline


Good morning my friends and happy Friday!  I hope this day finds you in great health and spirit.

Today's Friday is extra special because it's a start of something wonderful: the March break. For the next nine glorious days I won't have to wake up Angelina for school and I am very grateful for that. This week was especially difficult because of the spring time change. Both Angel and I have not completely adjusted yet and so this break in routine couldn't have come at a better time.  We all need a little extra slumber.


I'm sure our kitty cats will notice the change in pace around the house this coming week but I am also sure that they will happily snooze in with us in the mornings.  I've heard stories of cats waking people up demanding breakfast but our kitties have never been like that.  Hercules patiently lies on the bed beside me until I open my eyes.  When I'm up, then he is up and the breakfast party can begin.

Speaking of kitties, I've noticed that the bond between Hercules and Oliver continues to improve.  It is absolutely delightful to watch them both together, grooming each other or snoozing together on the soft blanket.  Before my son moved in, Hercules and Oliver knew each other and visited every couple weeks or so but were not very close.  They were mostly just doing their own thing.  Now I see them together a lot, behaving more like two brothers instead of distant cousins.


Sometimes I watch them and ponder.  Why do we love cats so much?  They don't greet us with the same enthusiasm the dog would, they don't play fetch (although I'm sure if we looked we would find one that does just that) and they don't always come when we call them.  They know what they want or need and sometimes (gasp) it is not us.  And they have enough guts to let us know that simple fact.

There are things about cats that only cat lovers can understand.   Cat's love and affection is an intimate and tightly guarded treasure divulged only at the right moment and not for the whole world to see.  Unless of course you happen to have a camera in hand.

Namaste.

Hercules snuggling with me on the bed

4 comments:

  1. You have two beautiful kitties. Love watching them sleep.

    Miss Minga used to play fetch in her youth. With olives, no less. One night I had cooked a dinner with olives in it, hubby picked one out and tossed it across the floor. To our amazement, Miss Minga ran to it, picked it up, and brought it right back to hubby, setting it down at his feet. This little game would go on until hubby finally decided it was time to eat. After that, I had to put one olive in his food every night because she would sit and wait for it.

    And as far as greeting like a dog? Oh my, she used to sense me when I entered the lobby of our building and when I opened our door she'd be sitting in the middle of the room...and let out the loudest scream of joy. I used to put my finger to my mouth and shush her because the neighbors would think she was being hurt. LOL!!! Gosh, I so miss my little girl.

    Thanks for the advice about my FB friend. I'll have to look into fixing chat so she won't see me. Great idea.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have many cats, but they are working cats. They keep vermin out of the barn and out buildings, and they kill snakes. In return, they get room and board, and medical care. Sometimes they get scratched behind the ears if they are in a melting mood but usually they don't care to be around people.

    My ferrets are my companions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been reading some of your older postings and I like what I've been reading and will continue as I get caught up with your life! I have added you to my follower list for others to connect with you. Thanks for stopping by :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely kitties. Ours sometimes acts more like a dog as she greets us at the door when we come back from a trip and will even play fetch sometimes.

    ReplyDelete