Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Of Book Delivery and Enjoying the Moment


“In a good bookroom you feel in some mysterious way that you are absorbing the wisdom contained in all the books through your skin, without even opening them.” 
- Mark Twain


Book delivery days are special.  A cardboard package which my hubby brought into the house was waiting for me to be opened on the kitchen island.  Within it, three books to be read, devoured, loved and read again.  Thousands of words eager for my soul to absorb.  My heart jumped with joy and my fingertips started tingling eager to touch the new arrivals.  I tore the box open and here there were: The Wisdom of Insecurity by Alan Watts, Gathering Blue by Lois Lowry and Messenger also by Lois Lowry.  

I wanted these books for a long while now and I even wrote a post about it.  I'm not quick to order things, I usually wait a while, even with books, to prevent the heat of the moment purchases.  I have to be this way because if I ordered everything I want to read RIGHT NOW, I would probably go broke.  I have to be selective and buy only those books that are of utmost value to me.  These books fit the category well.  I knew I would want them even a year from now because they are of the kind that contain a wealth of food for the soul.  All books do of course but some are wealthier than others.  Some are read and put away but others can be read and then re-read over and over again, loved and then passed on to the younglings.

When I get new books I like to touch them, leaf through them and smell them.  I find the smell of a book intoxicating, it's almost like some of the wisdom contained within is absorbed through my skin and my lungs.  I can almost feel the words rushing in and touching my heart.

I began reading The Wisdom of Insecurity by Alan Watts right away.  It's a great book and Alan Watts does a great job at communicating the urgent need for society to stop living for the future and start living in the present.  We are all guilty of that in one way or another, but more so when we're not aware we are doing it.  Some people spend their entire lives never enjoying the present, always working towards the future and when that future arrives, when it becomes the present moment, the can't enjoy it because they are already worrying about the new future.  His example of a successful working man is brilliant:

"This kind of living in the fantasy of expectation rather than the reality of the present is the special trouble of those businessmen who live entirely to make money.  So many people of wealth understand much more about making and saving money than about using and enjoying it.  They fail to live because they are always preparing to live.  Instead of earning a living they are mostly earning an earning, and thus when the time comes to relax they are unable to do so.  Many a "successful" man is bored and miserable when he retires, and returns to his work only to prevent a younger man from taking his place."


Each one of us should examine ourselves carefully and find out how much time do we spend truly living and how much of it do we spend catapulted into the future worrying about events that haven't happened yet and events we can do nothing about.  Quite a bit probably.

The other two books in the package are part of a quartet which starts with The Giver.  I already read The Giver and so the next one in the series is Gathering Blue but it will have to wait until I have finished reading The Stand by Stephen King.  The Stand is almost like three books in one, over 1100 pages and I'm almost done.  It's been quite a journey and I loved every moment of it.

A day spent with a book is a day well spent.  I don't think there was ever a time that I regretted it.

Namaste


4 comments:

  1. I read the Stand years ago. It's huge, but well worth the read. Enjoy your new books. I love the feel of books, but now my Kindle is the way I go. My eyesight is not what it once was and Kindle will not only allow me to adjust the print, but also to read by candlelight. Plus I do like all the free books.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah the free books... I'm always on the lookout for the free books and if I find them I usually print them out... I just love holding the physical print in my hands.. but I do have some books in my Kindle too. :)

      Delete
  2. "An ounce of preparation is worth a pound of cure." I know what you mean, and a person does have to wring some joy out of every day. But I spend a great deal of time considering tomorrow and the possibilities, in an attempt to anticipate what might happen and be ready for it. This is my natural inclination and I feel I owe it to my family.

    I served in Lebanon in 1982 and 1983, and I learned first hand then that nothing at all is safe, or secure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh but of course Harry... it was upon wakening to what's going on in our world, that I started learning how to grow my own food and how to forage. Nothing is safe and secure, we like to live in that illusion but it's just that.. .an illusion. We have to be prepared for anything, both physically and mentally. :)

      Delete