Saturday, March 7, 2015

Living off the grid on Lasqueti Island


"Going back to a simpler life is not a step backwards"
- Yvon Chouinard


There is an island about an hour by boat from Vancouver, BC with a population of about 400 people. The name of the island is Lasqueti and there is one thing that all the occupants of the island have in common: they all live off the grid.

BC hydro has tried talking the land owners there into bringing the electricity onto the island but the people stood their ground and refused. There is a certain way of life to protect here after all.

Some people on the island live extremely simple lifestyles while others have satellites, TVs, iPods, computers etc.  Solar panels, batteries or wind and gas generators provide them with all the power they need. There is internet connection available on the island as well for those that have the need for it.  Some households have no indoor plumbing while others come with running water, dishwashers and all.

When I first heard about this island I was in awe. I still am today. Actually I get quite emotional when I watch or read anything pertaining to this island.  I was born a city girl who over the years realized that there is a powerful force pulling me in the opposite direction.  For me this would be the ideal community to live amongst, just the right mindset I am looking for. I don't think that living in such a place would come without certain sacrifices.but those would be the sacrifices well worth the my pain.  I've been longing for a simpler way of life for quite some time now.

Given an opportunity, I would move there in a heartbeat.  Leave modern conveniences behind.  Step back in time and live.  Simply live.  There is not enough of that around here.






No comments:

Post a Comment