Monday, March 16, 2015

I'm growing sprouts again!

“Learn to do common things uncommonly well; we must always keep in mind that anything that helps full the dinner pail is valuable.” 
- George Washington Carver


This is the time of the year when I start craving fresh green edibles.  It's almost like my body knows the spring is coming, the earth is waking and it's time to change the diet somewhat.  I eat mostly plant diet throughout the year, but in the winter my greens are usually of the frozen and then cooked variety.  As the spring approaches I crave the fresh greens; the greens full of life and energy, greens that smell of earth and life giving sun.

Since can't grow much in my garden yet and whatever I'll start growing now will take a while to mature, I've taken to growing sprouts.  Sprouts are incredibly easy to grow, do not need much light and can be grown all year round.  I grew sprouts all through last spring, summer and part of fall but then got tired of them and needed a break.  I've noticed that my body goes through some sort of cycle where the diet is concerned.  When winter comes I crave comfort foods: potatoes, cooked veggies and more animal products although I still keep my diet very rich in fresh fruit.  I have to say that most of my cravings are very seasonal and that is a good thing I suppose.

To grow the sprouts all I need are the seeds and some sort of shallow container.  I use the Chinese take out container which I saved a while back, it's round and shallow and plays its role quite well.

I use two tablespoons of seeds, place them in the container and cover them with water.  I soak them in the water for six hours initially.  Only one initial soaking is needed.  After the six hours, I strain the seeds and put the container in dark and warm place for the seeds to sprout.  

They usually sprout very quickly, within the first 24 hours. After the initial soaking and straining, I rinse the seeds twice a day, once in the morning and once in the evening.  I continue this until the sprouts are fully grown.  When I see a sea of green seedling heads in my container I know they are ready to eat.

I love having my sprouts in the salads or in the sandwich.  My favourite is rye bread with some avocado on top, sprinkled with Himalayan salt and topped with fresh sprouts.  Yum!  You can add a tomato to that as well for an additional burst of flavour.

I made a short video of my sprout growing efforts.  Check it out, I hope you enjoy it.  Namaste.



2 comments:

  1. That's awesome, something to try. Never thought of this.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mary. It really is an amazing addition to meals :)

      Delete