Saturday, March 21, 2015

Hug a tree today, it's their special day

The tree which moves some to tears of joy is in the eyes of others only a
green thing that stands in the way. Some see Nature all ridicule and
deformity, and some scarce see Nature at all. But to the eyes of the
man of imagination, Nature is Imagination itself.
- William Blake, 1799, The Letters


Happy Saturday my dear friends.  I hope today finds you in great health and spirit and you are enjoying the weekend.

Today is an International Day of Forests and I have to say I didn't know about it until yesterday.  I'm not surprised though because it is a relatively new invention.  It was established on November 28, 2012 by the resolution of United Nations General Assembly.  All countries are encouraged on this day to celebrate forests and all the trees outside of forests.  I would say one day is not enough, we should celebrate them every day of the year.

I love trees.  To me they are solemn, old and wise beings, standing over us, providing us with the very thing we need to survive.  They are the keepers of all secrets, both above and below the ground, with extensive root systems penetrating Earth's diverse crust.  I love to walk through forests and watch the trees around me.  I love to draw them, paint them and photograph them.  I love to hug them and smell their earthy scent.  The trees in my backyard receive hugs from me on regular basis.  

Go out today and hug a tree.  I already did.  Plant one if you can.  I had whole bunch of apple seeds that I saved and dried for few weeks.  I put them on the wet paper towel and into the plastic bag which I sealed and put in the fridge.  In four weeks or so I should have some apple tree seedlings. They are not guaranteed to produce same apples like the parent tree did but they will produce some apple variety nevertheless.  

The trees deserve our love.

Namaste

2 comments:

  1. I liked the quote today and thanks for letting me know about this holiday. I will make sure that I hug a tree tomorrow since I'm in for the night.

    I think there's only two more episodes left of The Walking Dead this season. I'm not quite sure what to expect in this new community, especially after Deanna finds out that her son didn't make it... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my... only two episodes... it's hard to believe because there is so much potential for things happening in Alexandria... I guess they will carry on in the next season? The finale will be 1.5 hours long though.. that's awesome... And also, I don't know if you know that there will be a Walking Dead spin off during the summer? Same theme, same time but different city. That should keep us occupied while we wait for Walking Dead to come back in the fall. :)

      Delete