Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Happy St. Patrick's to those that celebrate


"May your blessings outnumber the shamrocks that grow, and may trouble avoid you wherever you go." 


Happy St. Patrick's Day to all that celebrate.  I hope this day finds you in great health and spirit and fills your existence with joy and happiness.

I have to admit, I do not celebrate St. Patrick's Day but I do enjoy all things green since lime green is one of my favourite colours and I see plenty of this wonderful shade on St. Patty's Day.  As to drinking, going out and all that other celebratory stuff, no thank you, I think I will pass.  My hubby will be celebrating with his buddies though, they have that festive blood running through their veins. He is feverishly running through the house looking for a green hat that he usually sports on St. Patrick's Day.  Darn thing probably grew legs and escaped.

I think the closest I came to celebrating St. Patrick's Day was back in 2007 and 2008 when I was a runner.  There was a local St. Patrick's 5 km race put on every year (and still is) and I was its enthusiastic participant during these two years.  I have two medals to prove it.  First year I came third and the second year I came first in my age group.  I remember the pain and the celebration afterwards.  These were some good times.


In 2007 I ran with two of my daughters and after the race we went into the pub to celebrate.  I had a green beer and my girls had something green as well.  I think it might have been a Gatorade.  Can you believe that these two girls in the picture below are now fully grown adults?  It blows my mind every time.



I always knew that St. Patrick's Day was an Irish holiday marked with drinking, celebrations and all things green but I never really looked into what this holiday stands for and how it started.

As it turns out, St. Patrick's Day is a day commemorating the death of St. Patrick, a person credited with spreading Christianity in Ireland.  Back in 17th century it was a sombre religious holiday, when people showed their respect by going to mass and all the pubs were closed.  It were the Irish immigrants to the US that changed the St. Patrick's Day from quiet commemoration to festive celebration in the 18th century and spread the fever throughout the world.

As for me I will stay here in my cozy abode enjoying my favourite green tea in my green tea cup which I pulled out especially for this occasion.  It's an organic Dragonwell green tea from Teavivre, it's delicious and it soothes my soul.  Namaste.



1 comment:

  1. Oh, Kamyria, I'm with you. No heavy alcohol-laden celebrations here for St. Patty's Day. I did give green gourmet cupcakes and green mint chocolate chip ice cream to a favorite Irishman but that is about it.

    Hope you enjoyed the quiet and your tea! Thanks so much for your memorable recollections of the day as well as for all your visits to my posts. Susan

    ReplyDelete