Monday, March 9, 2015

Daylight Savings Monster


I don't really care how time is reckoned so long as there is some agreement about it, but I object to being told that I am saving daylight when my reason tells me that I am doing nothing of the kind. I even object to the implication that I am wasting something valuable if I stay in bed after the sun has risen. As an admirer of moonlight I resent the bossy insistence of those who want to reduce my time for enjoying it. At the back of the Daylight Saving scheme I detect the bony, blue-fingered hand of Puritanism, eager to push people into bed earlier, and get them up earlier, to make them healthy, wealthy and wise in spite of themselves. 
- Robertson Davies


Happy Monday my dear friends.  Can I say that? I hope everyone is doing great and got to work, school or where ever they have to be with their eyes wide open.

Mine are open somewhat but it wasn't an easy morning.

My body didn't really register the need to get up an hour before sunrise and despite having several alarms set up, I kept snoozing on happily. The fact that I fell asleep an hour later than I should have probably didn't help but I just don't have a button to turn myself off like a machine.  My body was perfectly aligned before this time change, going to sleep the moment my head hit the pillow and waking up 15 minutes before the alarm clock went off.  Every day I felt rested and refreshed.  Now I'm back in the dark times.  My circadian rhythm is disturbed and my body is confused.

My daughter's story was very similar.  She experienced an episode of insomnia last night which never happens unless I have to get her on the school schedule.  She tried to get to sleep and the more she tried the more awake she was.  This morning it took me a while to get her out of bed.  I was questioning myself why is it exactly that I go along with this society's stupid whims.

Those of us who are night owls feel this disturbance the most.  My hubby who is a morning person, hardly feels the change but to me and my children, that is a different story.  We will adjust of course, but why should we be subjected to this in the first place?

Why do we do this to our people?  Why is it necessary to do this in the first half of March or even do this at all?

I understand that later on in the season daylight savings could make some sense although I still have to ask why would it be necessary.  During summer time, without daylight savings, the sun would rise at approximately 4:40 am and set at 8 pm so I guess it would be beneficial for some to have the daylight extended into the evening a bit.  But then again, why?  It doesn't really get dark until an hour after the sunset so what is wrong with darkness at 9 pm?  You can still take a wonderful walk outside or sit with your family on the back porch by a candlelight or fire.  Warm summer nights are beautiful and should not be tampered with.

At least if we absolutely must have daylight savings why not wait until April or May to do it when it is more natural for our bodies to wake up early?  Why plunge majority of population back into the darkness after their bodies already adjusted to getting up with the rising sun?  It is cruel and totally unjustifiable.  Think about it.  Significantly longer days are only with us for few short months but Daylight Savings time is in effect for 8 long months in North America.

I am not the only one asking these questions.  All it takes is to search internet and one comes up with pages upon pages of articles denouncing the daylight savings time monster.  It's not only unnecessary, it does not save any energy and it's unhealthy.

Like everything else though, when you want to find out why things are the way they are especially when they don't make much sense, you have to follow the money.

Extra hour of daylight means more people out for longer, socializing, driving and spending money. Oil companies and golf courses to name the few, are enjoying boosted revenues.  That's right. They told you daylight savings was for you to enjoy the extra hour but it really is for the business, the economy, the machine.  And just like with any business, it's not free.  You pay for it one way or another.

The only thing in reality we get out of the daylight savings time is our broken circadian rhythms, cranky bodies, increased chance of a heart attack, more accidents on the roads and possibly less money in our pockets.  Daylight Savings time is just another example of humans meddling in natural order for the purpose of fuelling industrial money machine.

It's time to bid farewell to this monster.


8 comments:

  1. I'm not sure why I've never been affected by daylights savings time, but I do know a couple of people that have difficulty with it year after year. When this first started many years ago, I used to question it, too, but I guess I've just gotten used to the time changes down through the years. I do hope that your body adjusts to that extra hour soon. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dee. Maybe you're more of a morning person? I don't know but as a night owl it irritates me when the time change occurs. I'll adjust eventually. Every day is a little better. :)

      Delete
  2. I honestly hate daylight savings (cough) time. It is just a pain and it has no purpose anymore (if it ever really did, that is).

    Bah humbug! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lady Caer... LOL That's just it... did it ever serve a purpose? Out with it I say! :D

      Delete
  3. I question why they keep daylight savings time. It serves no purpose and can be very confusing when you consider the states that don't participate in it. I especially hated it in my youth. I tended bar at the time and worked the 8pm to 4am shift. Daylight Savings always added an extra hour to my work day...without pay. Of course, in the fall I worked an hour less. LOL!!!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mary. That's just it. Some places have it, some don't, it all adds to the confusion. I think we would be fine without it. :)

      Delete
  4. Hello Kamyria...

    I think Daylight Savings was started to assist farmers. Whether that still holds true is anyone's guess. I think it is foolish, too, but there's not too much we can do about it. So, "acceptance is the answer to all of life's problems." Hmmmmm. Thanks for your visits! Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I heard that too but apparently that couldn't be further from the truth. Apparently farmers are the ones that are fighting this the most.

      Delete