Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Bell of Mindfulness



“If you want to conquer the anxiety of life, live in the moment, live in the breath.” 

- Amit Ray, Om Chanting and Meditation


Good Morning beautiful friends and Happy Tuesday!  I hope everyone is having a great day and hopefully enjoying much warmer weather.

The weather in my neck of the woods finally took a turn for the better.   The snow hasn't melted yet, this will be a slow process, but yesterday we had our first really nice day.  I can't believe I actually had lunch outside on my back porch.  I brought the patio cushion out and sat close to the south wall of the house where it was nice and warm. The sun was shining brightly and I soaked up quite few of it's life giving rays.   After the lunch I had a short meditation session.  It was pure bliss.

Talking of meditation and mindfulness, last week I stumbled upon a blog post that talked about the importance of living in the moment.  For the life of me I can't remember which blog this was now, but I am happy to pass on the message.  The blog post mentioned an app called Bell of Mindfulness, an extension to Chrome that can be installed for the purpose of bringing our awareness back to our body throughout the day.  Once installed the app runs in the background and every set block of time the bell rings reminding me to stop everything I'm doing and focus on my breath and my body.  It reminds me to live in the moment for a moment.

At first I shrugged it off thinking I don't need any app telling me when to live in the moment but curiosity took over and I installed it on my web browser. 

I'm so happy that I did it.  I have the timer set to one hour and every hour when the bell rings it's like a bird flying into my office reminding me to take a break.  It brings peace I can't describe any other way and it's had a positive influence on my days from the moment I installed it.  I realized that even though I try to remember to live in the moment as much as I can every day, I get so wrapped up in life's madness that I often forget.  Having this bell ring every hour has been a good reminder and now I instinctively remember to do it. Soon enough I won't need this app anymore, the practice of mindfulness is becoming a habit. Even when I don't need it though, I will keep the bell on as it has a very soothing sound and it really makes me feel at peace immediately.  

And this peace is priceless.

When the bell rings I stop everything I'm doing, close my eyes and concentrate on my breath.  I take in three deep breaths and with each one I focus on bringing the awareness to my body and to the present moment.  I acknowledge that I'm here in this moment, safe and happy. No worries of future or past are allowed.  I simply exist in the present.

The Mindfulness Bell is also available as a phone app but there is a dollar charge for it.  I think for a buck it is well worth the benefit it provides.  There are other similar apps available for free though. 

I recommend this for everyone.  

Namaste



6 comments:

  1. I need to download that app. I find it so hard to stay in the now. My mind is always working overtime. I wear myself down. Thanks.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome! I find it very valuable. :)

      Delete
  2. I will send your url to my daughter. That sounds like something she would be receptive to. I'm so keyed to taking care of my family I rarely have time for contemplation, but it's something I should give me effort to working into the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Harry. It's a wonderful thing to do, good for both body and mind. We are often so rushed in our lives these days.

      Delete
  3. Every morning I sit in my favorite and most comfortable chair and pray. Not quite meditation but it centers me for the coming day.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Prayer is very similar to meditation and it looks like it's doing the same thing for you that meditation would. That's all that counts. :)

      Delete