Thursday, March 12, 2015

A trip to the beach

"Oh, Spring is surely coming,
Her couriers fill the air;
Each morn are new arrivals,
Each night her ways prepare;
I scent her fragrant garments,
Her foot is on the stair."
~John Burroughs, A March Glee


According to the nifty spring countdown widget on my blog page, it is now seven days and five hours until the coming of spring.  That is only a week away!

Yesterday we had one of the nicest days in a long, long while.  The temperature rose to 9°C and there was not even one cloud in the sky.  The sun shone bright and strong.

With such an amazing day happening, I couldn't just stay indoors.  I took my camera and ventured into our local beach.  I haven't been there all winter long and I realized how much I've missed it.  I was raised in the port city, ten minutes away from the seashore and being near big bodies of water brings me tranquillity and peace.  Lake Ontario is not quite the Baltic Sea but it does its job for me. 

The lake was mostly free of ice except for the shore areas.  I haven't been here during the February deep freeze so I don't know the extent  to which the lake froze but I can imagine a lot of ice has receded through several days of warmer weather.  Still the beach appeared triple the size of what it should have been.  The shallow end near the shore is all frozen and covered with snow.  Since it was so warm and not a first day to be this way, I didn't want to tempt the fate by going far into the ice so I stayed close to where I thought the shore was.  I could barely see the water from there though.





There was a bench nearby where I sat down and had lunch. It was so warm and wonderful that I spent nearly 45 minutes there just basking in the heat.  I even squeezed in a short mediation session.  I've never meditated on the beach and I think this is something I should do more often.  Not just the beach but nature in general.  I have visions of sitting by the creek in the middle of forest meditating.  The birds are singing, the water is flowing and I am there, one with the nature, one with it all.  Definitely something I should do.


On the way back I stopped by Smokey Hollow trail to see if the waterfalls have been freed.  Indeed they have been.  I could hear the water flowing the moment I got out of the car.  It was like a music to my ears.  The spring is indeed coming my friends.  Get ready.  Namaste.




1 comment:

  1. I live not too far from Coney Island beach. I love to go to the boardwalk and watch the ocean. All my troubles fade away. Plan on doing it more often this summer. Last summer I wanted to spend time with my little girl so I always hurried home. Miss her so darn much.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete