Tuesday, February 24, 2015

What is this?


“Harmony is about bringing things into balance and knowing how to go from sunrise to sunset. Mother Nature teaches this to us, in so many ways, each and every day.” 
- Jaeda DeWalt


Happy Tuesday everyone!  I hope today finds you in great health and spirit.

It's a brilliantly sunny day today which looks beautiful but is very deceiving.  The extreme cold is still with us and in addition the wind gusts chill every bone in the body for those of us brave enough to venture outside.  There won't be much relief until the weekend and everyone is feeling the pain, both humans and animals equally.

Speaking of animals, for the last little while I've been observing wildlife footprints in my garden. There are a lot of them and it appears at least from a couple of different critters.  One of them I identified already, the other not really but I have a good idea what it might be.

This set of footprints appeared after last night and it made me scratch my head at first because the track starts in the middle of snow and ends in the middle of snow.  I don't ever remember seeing anything like this.  It is about 1.5 inches wide and looks like a long, thin corridor through the snow.




And here is what these corridors end in.  A hole into the snow.


No doubt something very little with burrowing abilities is responsible for this so my first thought was mice.  We do have mice around here and our cats are all too happy to prove it to us if one gets to brave and makes a run through the house.  I've never seen mice tracks in the snow though.  My other guess would be voles.  Voles look just like mice and are often mistaken for mice but they love dwelling under the grass.  I remember last year some of the neighbours complaining because something has ripped through their lawn and left long, windy trails of upturned grass.  I remember seeing couple of marks on our lawn too.  Apparently that's what voles do and there have been a surge in their population after last year's tough winter.  Based on what I'm seeing, we might have a Vole 2.0 coming this spring to the lawn near you.

That's okay.  I think lawns are an abomination to start with.  When I think of all the land that is wasted on lawns and all the resources and money spent on upkeep of these useless lawns, all I can do is shake my head.  Maybe Mother Nature thinks the same.


2 comments:

  1. Isn't it so fascinating to see those little footprints and paw prints in the snow?? I love these images :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love finding unidentified footprints in the snow. A little of winter mystery. :)

      Delete