Saturday, February 14, 2015

Valentine, the Love Day

“In a world full of temporary things
you are a perpetual feeling.” 
- Sanober Khan


Happy Valentine's my dear friends, I hope you're all having a good one. I wish you lots of love, laughter and chocolate all day long and for the days to come.

I wondered what picture to include with today's post and then I found this photograph of a bleeding heart which I took last year in my garden. Every year when they come out and flower, I lose myself around them with my camera. They look so tempting when the morning sun hits them the right way. I can't stay away.

I went yesterday with Angel to get some chocolate treats for her classmates. She will hand them out in school on Tuesday together with the Valentine cards she made herself. The people were hustling in the store, buying flowers, chocolate, greeting cards and other Valentine gifts. The Valentine's fever is in full swing, that's for sure.


I grew up in Eastern Europe; Poland to be specific. We didn't celebrate Valentine's Day. I mean, I heard about it but it was more  for young lovers to express their infatuation with one another than anything else. There were no people running around with flowers and boxes of chocolate, that's for sure. It was a quiet day for young people in love to walk hand in hand and gaze into each other's eyes. I didn't even hear about it until I was fourteen.

When I came to Canada I was shocked at the seriousness of the affair. Valentine's Day was a big business and everyone was participating. I gave in and participated for many years as well, until the thrill kind of wore off. I saw the Valentine's Day for what it really was: an old tradition blown out of proportion and turned into a commercial frenzy to get the people to spend as much money as possible. Attached people felt unduly pressured and single people just felt awful.  Completely unnecessary if you ask me.

The Lupercalian Festival in Rome(ca. 1578–1610)
The origins of Valentine's Day are quite interesting if one cares to explore.  Just like with all other major holidays, Valentine's Day has pagan roots.  It is said that it originated in ancient Roman festival known as Lupercalia.  It took place from February 13-15 every year, during which time men would strip naked and swat young maidens with a dog or goat skin whips to increase their fertility. One shouldn't be surprised that a dog or goat died for this noble cause.  This tradition began long before Christianity was established, but later on it was adopted by Christians and given a name of St. Valentine.

Today I couldn't care less for Valentine's Day.   It's a day like any other for me.  I don't know why, maybe it's because I'm no longer a maiden and my child bearing years are over. :P I do acknowledge it for the loved ones in my family though and it does give a good excuse to get a chocolate fix.  I usually get my loved ones some chocolate treats and an extra treat for myself.  After the morning Happy Valentine wishes are exchanged and everyone has their chocolates, we carry on with our day as with any other.  I like to think that we give each other a lot of love every day and so we shouldn't need a special one to express it.


2 comments:

  1. Happy belated Valentine's Day! Valentine's Day has always been big for me, but maybe it's because I love all the extra attention I get from my husband... :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha ha... that is a good reason to love Valentine's Day... I hope you had a great one Dee

      Delete