Wednesday, February 18, 2015

The Moonless Night


Though my soul may set in darkness,

It will rise in perfect light,

I have loved the stars too fondly

To be fearful of the night. 

–Sarah Williams


The time flies, it really does.  It seems like it was only yesterday that I wrote about the new moon but it was actually 28 days ago sans few hours. And here we are again.  A sun rising together with the moon, setting together with the moon and the moonless night that follows.

The night of the Black Moon.

Black Moon is the third of the four new moons in the current season (December Solstice to March Equinox).  It is special because a season normally has only three new moons.

In Pagan community, the Black Moon is a subject of mystery and intrigue.  Some say this is a time for spiritual hibernation while others believe moon's energy is amplified at this time and should be utilized.  Magick is more potent on the night of the Black Moon they say.

Beside its spiritual significance, the moonless night is special in its own right. The night abandoned by the moon but celebrated by the stars. The night so dark, it's made for stargazing.  The night when we struggle to see but other creatures walk around guided by invisible light.

Sometimes I find myself jealous of cats for their amazing ability of night vision.  Imagine walking out in the middle of moonless night, away from the lights of civilization and have the world illuminate in infra-red light. No goggles, no binoculars, just the work of your own eyes. That would be quite an experience.

And then I think about the essence of the night.

And realize that everything has its pros and cons.

I happen to love the darkness of the night, the shadowy veil which wraps around me every evening. It's an inspiring companion while I'm awake and lulls me to sleep when I'm tired.

Would I like to give it up?

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't.



4 comments:

  1. Oh yeah, it would be really cool to have a cat's night vision. Especially since my eyes are already starting to change as I age and driving at night isn't as fun as it used to be. Now that I think about it, I wouldn't mind having a few of their 9 lives, too... ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha ha, right? I'll take a few too. :D

      Delete

  2. "Sometimes stuff happens and you might not like it. Acknowledge it and move on. Present moment is to precious to be wasted on disappointment."

    So wise and serene sounds! And the sooner you understand and accept the person, the more you save! I mean negative emotions that will not lead to anything constructive ....
    Great post, you're great, kept his sense of humor and his undergone this unpleasant (both cars break in one day !!!) day with a smile and quiet! You are great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to meet you Bety and thank you for such a wonderful comment! For some reason it appeared under a wrong post but I know which one it was meant for. :)

      Delete