Saturday, February 21, 2015

The Day we got Hercules

“Time spent with a cat is never wasted.” 
- Colette

Glorious Saturday. How good it is to sleep in.  I wish every day was like that.  I woke up at 8:30 so I don't sleep in that long but it does make a difference whether I wake up naturally or whether I'm ripped out of my dreams by an alarm.

Every morning when I wake up Hercules lies right there in my feet. Sometimes I'm afraid I'll kick him off the bed when I stretch as it has happened few times in the past.  I swear cats have the ability to mathematically calculate where the most inconvenient spot is and lie right in the middle of it.


Hercules came to us from animal shelter on June 23, 2010 when he was just about eight weeks old. He was born on April 24, 2010 and his shelter name was Chip.  I still remember when I went into the room where all the little kittens were and quickly scanned all the cages; he was the one that immediately caught my attention.  He really wanted out of the cage and when it was opened, he crawled out into my arms and wanted to stay there.  I knew right away that Chip had to come home with me.


My daughter Sara adopted a kitty that day too and she named him Elliott.  Hercules and Elliott spent the next several months together and became best friends.  It was fun watching them grow up together.



Unfortunately, Elliott lived a short life and is no longer with us.  He died two years later and the day he passed away was heartbreaking.  Those of us who have ever adopted pets know that pets become a part of our family and when they die, part of us die with them.

Picking out a name for Chip wasn't easy.  I liked the name Chip but it was not what I envisioned for my new little friend.  I wanted an extraordinary name for an extraordinary kitty that I knew he would become (well, at least I hoped so).   After a lot of tough deliberation I settled with the name Hercules. The family liked it too and it was funny at the time because Hercules was so little.


Boy, oh boy, did Hercules ever lived up to his name.  Over the years he grew big, muscular, and so strong that even vet commented how well his name suited him.  He became a hunter and put all the chipmunks in their place in our garden.  Mice too.  The birds proved to be a little more difficult.

Today there is some flab covering all these muscles, especially in the winter when Hercules doesn't go outside and therefore doesn't get a lot of exercise.  His love for junk food doesn't help either.  I try to control how much he eats but he is very persistent and doesn't give up easily. He can literally sit like a statue and stare at me for a very long time with both disappointment and contempt in his eyes that I didn't get hat bag of snacks out yet.  His gaze is so intense that most of the time I find it hard to ignore.  I know he is practising Zen on me.


But if for some reason that didn't work, he turns on his charm.  He is really good at it too.  Can you say no to a backside flip?  It melts my heart every time.





2 comments:

  1. Ohhhh, Kamyria,

    Hercules is adorable. He reminds me of my Honey Cat (who died May 6 of 2014). He is so handsome!

    Enjoy your gaming! And Kamyria, thanks so much for all your visits to my posts. Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome Susan, I enjoy your posts very much. I'm sorry for the loss of your Honey; cats warm their way into our hearts and it's hard when we lose them.

      Delete