Tuesday, February 10, 2015

The books I want to read


“Books are the perfect entertainment: no commercials, no batteries, hours of enjoyment for each dollar spent. What I wonder is why everybody doesn't carry a book around for those inevitable dead spots in life.” 
- Stephen King


Yesterday I visited one of my favourite stores.

You've guessed it, the bookstore. 

I had a little bit of cash leftover on the gift card I received for Christmas and so I thought the time came to use it all up. Besides, the bookstore is a great place to visit even when I'm not planning to buy anything. I love going there to window shop, browse around, read little snippets here and there and breathe in the intoxicating aroma of new books.

This time I went there with something specific in mind. I wanted to purchase the next book in The Giver Quartet. Gathering Blue is the second book in the series and the last time I checked it was available for purchase at my local bookstore.

I guess I should have checked again before I left, because apparently it got sold out. There was not even one copy to be found anywhere and I can't say that I wasn't disappointed.

As I browsed around the store, checking out my favourite sections, I got an idea to write a blog post about books that I want to read.  I love reading, I love writing about reading and I love reading other people write about their love for reading.  Why not write about what I want to read next?

As with many things, the task is easier said than done because there are countless books that I've set my sights on.  I do have several that are quite high on my priority list though and unfortunately they are not on my home bookshelf yet.


1. Gathering Blue by Lois Lowry

A little while ago, I wrote a review post about The Giver (1993). Gathering Blue (2000) is the second book in The Giver Quartet and in turn it is followed by two more books set in the same future era: Messanger (2004) and Son (2012).

I had an amazing time reading The Giver and when I found out there are three more books accompanying this one, I knew that I had to read them all in some near future. The Giver Quartet is a young adult science fiction novel set, each book following its own protagonist belonging to a futuristic dystopian society.



2. Dark Recollections: Adrian's Undead Diary Book One by Chris Philbrook

In preparation for when The Walking Dead current season will end, I've been on a lookout for a good apocalyptic book that will keep the spark going. I think I finally found one. Dark Recollections is the first of eight books of a series Adrian's Undead Diary that was released over a span of one year in 2013-2014. Seven other books that follow this one are: Alone No More, Midnight, The Failed Coward, Wrath, In the Arms of Family, The Trinity and Cassie.

I've read the sample of Dark Recollections available on Amazon and the first few pages got me hooked already. The language is very spicy to say the least, but I don't mind. It feels very real. I doubt that any of us would be choosing our words carefully when mindless killers lurked in every dark corner and every minute of our lives was spent trying to stay alive.


3. The Wisdom of Insecurity: A Message for an Age of Anxiety by Alan 
     W. Watts

Alan Watts is one of my favourite philosophers of the 20th century, a spiritual polymath and one of the best of his kind. Although it is very difficult to describe his books I'm going to try.  This book opens the reader's mind to the art of living in the present, rather than dwelling on the past or the future.  I haven't read the book yet but several sample exerpts have spiked my interest and burning desire to read it cover to cover.  Although I've seen countless Alan Watts lectures, I haven't read any of his books yet and I'm very excited this will be the first one.


4. SAS Survival Handbook, Revised Edition: For any climate, in any situation       
    by John 'Lofty' Wiseman

This last book I happened upon yesterday when I was browsing the survival section at the bookstore. I have heard about this title before and so I leafed through it to see what it was all about. I have to say I was impressed and I would definitely love to read it. It has wealth of great information from navigation and basic campcraft, to first aid and strategies for coping in a disaster situation. It also has a little section about wild edibles and although I'll be getting a more detailed book for just that purpose later this spring, it's nice to have this information included in this survival guide.


These four books are only few in a plethora of books on my horizon.  I am currently finishing the Wizard and Glass by Stephen King and starting The Stand, also by Stephen King.  Once I'm done with these I'll be ready for any one of the above titles.  I can't wait.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment