Sunday, February 22, 2015

Sunday Reflections


“All living things contain a measure of madness that moves them in strange, sometimes inexplicable ways. This madness can be saving; it is part and parcel of the ability to adapt. Without it, no species would survive.” 
- Yann Martel, Life of Pi


Happy Sunday everyone!

Another night of sleeping in and this time I took a little longer.  My body needed it.  Last night I came down with quite a fever.  I guess the bug that kept Angelina from school this week is trying to make its home in me.  I don't think so, you nasty little bugger.

We got another nice covering of snow yesterday, probably around 10 cm.  Still a little bit is coming down at the moment but it is a slow, lazy snow which I don't think will amount to anything. It does look pretty though.  With all this snow coming down the countryside looks down right gorgeous and magical. The temperature is mild too, -4°C to be exact, right before it will plunge tonight to a soul crashing -26.

I hope everyone out there finds a safe and warm nook to ride this out.

Last night Angelina and I took a little ride after the snow stopped falling and the night was settling in. The moon was out and its appearance stopped me dead in my tracks.  If there is such thing as perfection, then that was it.  The most beautiful moon crescent I've seen in a while.  Captivating.

What else captivated me last night, was virtual survival.  Every once in a while I like to enjoy a little bit of gaming.  For quite some time I've been hearing about the survival game "The Long Dark".  The game takes place in the post apocalyptic Canadian wilderness and the goal of the game is to survive as long as you can. Yesterday I decided to give it a try. Upon logging in I found myself in the middle of woods, with nothing but a few supplies and relentless blizzard bearing down on me.  I didn't even have a warm coat for protection. The game is pretty realistic in design but the most realistic part is that when you die, it's over.  The game resets itself and you have to start from the beginning.  No cheating death.  Not this time.

I've died a bunch of times yesterday and now that I think I got the general feel for the game, I'll play more seriously today and see how long I can survive.  Should be fun.  It will be even more fun knowing that a killer shot from the sun just missed the Earth, the killer shot that would have sent us to a dark place for quite some time.  It's possible that it came from the giant filament that just turned away from Earth facing direction a week ago. This game might be a virtual training of what's to come, it seems. We are riding a giant roulette wheel.

Since today is Sunday, I'm having one of the teas I've never tried before.  Today I've pulled a sample of Mountain Organic Indonesian green tea from Tea at Sea which was generously shipped to me free of charge. Stop by Paradise In My Teacup for a review later on.


No comments:

Post a Comment