Sunday, February 15, 2015

Sunday Reflections

“The one thing that you have that nobody else has is you. Your voice, your mind, your story, your vision. So write and draw and build and play and dance and live as only you can.” 
—Neil Gaiman

Sure hot tea feels nice as I'm sitting here writing the blog post and the winter rages outside.  We are under a spell of an arctic air which last night had the temperatures plunge to -22°C/ -8°F with wind chill of -35°C/-31°F.  It's not any better this morning, it actually dipped further to -25°C and we continue to be under the extreme cold advisory.

My thoughts are with the homeless today, I hope they've all found a warm nook to ride this out.

Last night we braved the cold and left the security of our humble abode to see my oldest daughter Sara and her band play in next town.  This was a first time we saw her sing live.  We had so much fun.

Her band is called Television Rd and they are from Peterborough, Ontario.  It is an alternative music band with jazzy, funky style that delights and surprises at every turn.  Sara's bold, boozy and at times raspy vocals are a perfect fit with the music and really make the band.  I can't say enough good things about these guys and it's not just because she is my daughter.

The event was all ages and Angelina who is 9 was able to come as well as Derek who'll be turning 19 later this year.  Both were thrilled and stuck to ginger ale all night long although Derek might have dipped into something stronger in the parking lot with the help of one of his older sisters.  Here are several pics from last night.


Sara and the band entertaining and having fun

Sara and Dan playing keyboard

Dan and his creepy mask.  Simply awesome!

Derek can't drink :P

Derek and Angelina at the bar getting ginger ale

Our whole bunch after the show

I'm so glad Sara is following her dreams. She is an artist at heart and she is getting her message out both in visual arts and music.  Sure it's not easy right now because artists are not showered with money (unless you're in Hollywood of course) but she is making do while having a blast and that's what matters the most.

I hope the rest of my kids do the same.  Follow their passions, figure out what makes them tick and don't look at the money aspect.  Studying something you don't like very much just to graduate and get a good paying job sounds okay at first until 20 years pass and you realize you hate what you're doing. And then what? That's what happens to a lot of people.  I want my kids to look in a different direction.

Life has a lot to offer but most of the times we have to step out of the box to find it.

I will leave you with one of Television Rd songs from their first album Character Splatters.  It's my favourite one and it's called Burial Ground.  I hope you enjoy it.  Cheers!





2 comments:

  1. Catchy tune! It is so awesome that your daughter is involved with a cool band. I, too, used to sing for a local band in our area ... many moons ago, mind you. Best time of my life!

    The weather has been deadly brutal since last night and hasn't gotten much better. I also think about the homeless, both human and animal! I am so glad we were able to get our newest fur baby, Leo, in the house and settled in. As my hubby said, he deserves a good life with us to love and protect him

    Blessings always,

    Kim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lady! Oh, you must have such great memories from the time of your band... I can imagine.

      I'm so glad that Leo is now settled into your home and away from this insane cold. It literally freezes your breath right in its track...

      Delete