Thursday, February 12, 2015

Of Power Outages and Winter Hiking in Canterbury Falls


“I wonder if the snow loves the trees and fields, that it kisses them so gently? And then it covers them up snug, you know, with a white quilt; and perhaps it says "Go to sleep, darlings, till the summer comes again.” 
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass


Happy Thursday everyone, it's hard to believe first half of the week is already gone. Even harder is to believe we are almost half way through February. The time flies faster than I care to admit.

Last night we lost the power for couple of hours. For my son Derek and I it was fun but Angel was really scared at first. At the tender age of 9 years, she is still terrified of darkness. All three of us ended up having good time though. We've all gathered in Derek's room with my oil candles and my large beeswax candle and couple of flashlights. We sat and talked for some time while chomping on some snacks. Power outages bring families together every time.


Later after the kids went to sleep the power came back on which was probably a good thing because today is brutally cold. The temperature is sitting currently at -16°C/ 4°F and with the 50km/h wind chill we are looking at -27°C/ -17°F. Ideal day for staying home and working on my blog.

Every week we have at least one day when the temps go up and sun comes out to delight us with its presence. Two days ago, on Tuesday we had such glorious day and of course I spent it winter hiking. Exhilarating!

The place I chose this week is very special to me because it's the very trail Angel and I went hiking for the very first time few years ago. Oh boy, did we ever have fun that day!

Canterbury Falls are part of the Heritage Trail which runs from Ancaster Old Mill area and later joins with Bruce Trail all the way to Sherman Falls. This time I did not have enough time available to make it all the way to Sherman Falls since winter hiking takes a lot more time than hiking in other seasons. The snow has a funny way of slowing us down.  I did hike to Canterbury Falls though and had a lot of fun in the process.


I've found couple of hollow trees close to the trail and of course checked them out.  I was even able to fit into one of them.  I laughed when I saw human tracks leading to every point of interest of mine. There are other curious Joes like me out there and that is heart-warming to know.



Just like last time, I saw no wildlife anywhere except for one lone squirrel which got so scared when I arrived, that it booked before I had a chance to zoom in my camera.  Oh well, there'll always be another time.

Canterbury Falls were pretty much frozen.  I could hear them but not see them.  Not even a little bit. If I haven't been to this trail before I would not have known where to look for them and probably would have missed them. 


The only sign that there might be waterfalls here somewhere, appeared in a form of couple of visible spots where the creek was not covered by the snow and ice.  That would be easy to miss for someone who wasn't paying attention though.



Throughout my hike, just as last time, I was on the lookout for the birch trees and any signs of Chaga mushroom on them.  Unfortunately, even though I found quite few birch trees, there was no Chaga to be seen anywhere.  I guess I have to keep searching, one of these days I'll find one.


As previously, I've put together a short video of my hike.  It's only 7 minutes long but I've been there for over 2 hours.  It's so hard to compile hours of fun into 7 minutes.  I hope you enjoy it.

Cheers!









2 comments:

  1. I always keep candles and extra water around the house so I don't panic too much if we lose power, either. It's a lot colder where you are, though, so that sucks. At least the power did come back on the same night. I really enjoy your videos although I still haven't been brave enough to go out for a walk in this cold weather... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dee! It's always good to be a little prepared. :)

      Delete