Friday, February 27, 2015

Feeling the blues

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day. 
~Author Unknown

Happy Friday everyone!  I hope all is well and everyone is enjoying the prospect of the weekend.  I know I am.  Maybe it will help fend off the blues that have been plaguing me for the past few days.

I am not kidding.

This is not the first time it happened and I'm sure it won't be the last. I've noticed that every time I get sick with cold or flu or some other bug, few days later my emotional well being takes a hit. I lose interest in things that I love, I don't know what to do with myself, I get cranky and I want to eat a whole lot of crap.

This last little bit is especially annoying. Yesterday I proposed to my kids that we go and get doughnuts even though I don't normally eat doughnuts. I don't eat much sweet stuff to start with and when I do it's usually as little processed as possible and home baked preferably. Yesterday home baked wouldn't do however, I wanted doughnuts and we went to get them. You can imagine, I didn't have to twist my kids arms.  They were dressed up and ready to leave before I could grab the keys off of the key hanger.  Everyone came for a ride and we got the doughnuts I craved so much.  A whole lot too. And guess what.  I could have eaten a whole box and it wouldn't make any difference.  None.  I had some doughnuts and felt exactly the same, if not worse than before.  That will teach me.

And what about my writing? My goodness, yes the writing. There is a whole lot of ideas, thoughts, visions running through my head every minute and it's all scrambled. I want to write about everything and nothing at the same time. Picking a topic seems like too much effort now, I can't concentrate on a single thing long enough to compose it into a coherent thought.  Let's just mash it all up. That why today I decided to write this scrambled post about my scrambled head and see how much I manage to write. Seems like I'm having no issues whatsoever, a whole lot of nothing is making it onto the page. Sometimes it's refreshing to write about nothing.

Apparently I am not alone in the way I feel. My son tells me he noticed the same thing after he recovers from being sick.  Some sort of post flu blues.  Is there such a thing?

As a matter of fact there is.  It's called a post-flu depression but I can imagine it doesn't apply only to a flu.  Apparently when the immune system is hard at work battling whatever bug invaded, it releases cytokines which help the body fight the invasion but at the same time they deplete levels of serotonin.  

That would explain a lot.  I didn't have typical flu symptoms but I did have 3 nights of high fever, so I was definitely fighting something.  And now I feel like a used napkin.  Hopefully not for too long.

On the positive note, kitty cats have been keeping me company more than usual and I've been rewarding them with lots of love.  And snacks.  You know how that works. :D

Cheers!





4 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to hear that you aren't feeling well and I do hope you'll be back to your old self in no time at all. I hope your weekend goes well... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Dee. I'm feeling much better right now.

      Delete
  2. I am so sorry that you are not feeling yourself ... it is actually an awful feeling! Aminals do help us though, right after my father died, my best buddy Midnight kitty never left miy side. He followed me everywhere and I know he knew I was feeling very down. Don't know what I would do without him!

    Blessings to you,

    Kim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Kim. I think you might be right. I've noticed that Hercules always follows me more when I don't feel right. This is not the first time it happened. I find his company very comforting.

      Delete