Monday, February 23, 2015

Cold, cold, cold


"There is a privacy about it which no other season gives you...In spring, summer, and fall people sort of have an open season on each other; only in the winter, in the country, can you have longer, quiet stretches when you can savour belonging to yourself."
- Ruth Stout


Brutal cold has returned to my neck of the woods after couple of relatively "mild" days. Too bad I couldn't enjoy the warmer outdoors and play in all that snow we have, as I was busy fighting the bug all weekend long. Oh well, March is just around the corner and the spring is coming, right?

I don't know.

Being a realist somehow I don't see it happening that quickly. Taking into consideration that it's almost the end of February and we are still in negative double digits, I don't think we'll see any drastic changes any time soon.

Translation: I think we are in for a cold and snowy March. At least the first half of it.


Sorry Hercules, I think you'll have to be satisfied with window entertainment for a little while longer.

After hearing about all the records our February has been smashing, I took a look at the historical data for February for my region and I can't say that I wasn't surprised. I thought we had an exceptionally brutal winter last year (and we did), but it looks like this year's February managed to outdo 2014 one. For the past three years February has been getting progressively colder with mean temperatures for years 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 respectively -1C, -5.4C -9.4C and -13.1C.   It looks like every year we're getting 4°C colder.  Is the trend going to continue next year? Only the time will tell I guess.

I just hope we're going to have a reasonable summer. For the sake of my crops, that is. Farmer's Almanac has predicted warmer than normal summer for Ontario this year but after another record breaking winter and Great Lakes nearly completely frozen, I have to wonder. It will take some time to melt all this ice and the chill from the lakes will remain in the air for some time to come; that almost always translates into cooler weather.  My tomatoes will not like it and after the last two summers, they deserve a break.

On the plus side, there is no short of winter wonders to look at. We have a spectacular ribbon of icicles hanging from our roof with the largest one measuring at over 5 feet long. That's right. It's longer than the window itself and I don't ever remember seeing an icicle this massive so I took the tape and measured the sucker.  Over 5 feet long and 4 inches wide at the base.  It's a beaut.

Cheers!


2 comments:

  1. Brutally cold here, too, Kamyria. 28 degrees feels balmy! ha! We just have to keep warm and keep dreaming of spring! Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish you a quick spring Susan! Stay warm. :)

      Delete