Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Almost time to dig in the dirt, yes?

"To forget how to dig the earth and to tend the soil is to forget ourselves."
- Mahatma Gandhi

We are still in the middle of ferocious winter but my mind wondered into realms of spring today.  I realized that being more than half way through February, it is less than one short month away till I can start planting tomatoes, brussels sprouts and kale.  Of course I'm talking about indoor planting and these seedlings won't see the outside for some time after, but nevertheless planting.

Actually brussels sprouts and kale can be planted outdoors mid March but I'm not expecting our snow to be gone by then, so I'll just plan to plant them indoors for now.  Maybe I'll do both even.  I don't know.

All that means that I have to make sure I have the seeds ready to go.  I combed through my seed collection this morning to see what I have and sure enough there was not one tomato seed leftover from last year.  I've been meaning to collect my own tomato seeds like I do it with many other plants, but for some reason that never happens.  I get so wrapped up in harvest and preservation that I forget to collect every time.  That means I'll have to order some more online and shipping takes some time so I'm happy I thought about it this week.

Oh, I can feel the anticipation already!  I simply can't wait to get my hands into the dirt and create bountiful life out of tiny seeds again.  
Every year I plant a big garden full of flowers, fruits and vegetables. Last year was probably my biggest undertaking and I had the most amazing harvest despite the crappy weather.  I hope to repeat it this summer.  I'll be growing tomatoes, cucumbers, brussels sprouts, kale, sunflowers, potatoes, green beans, green peas, lettuce and more.  It's a lot of hard work but so worth it.

I guess this is what they mean by saying that if you find your true passion, something that you were meant to do, you won't have to work a day in your life.  I can be outside, digging in the dirt, swinging a shovel all day long and come back inside exhausted with my back broken and the smile on my face.

It's hard work that doesn't feel like work and it feeds the family.  It can't get better than that.


No comments:

Post a Comment