Friday, January 9, 2015

Steampunking the datebook, part 2. Final.

“Steampunk is...a joyous fantasy of the past, allowing us to revel in a nostalgia for what never was. It is a literary playground for adventure, spectacle, drama, escapism and exploration. But most of all it is fun!” 
- George Mann

My datebook project is now completed and I can say with certain conviction that I don't remember when was the last time I had so much fun. I feel like I've entered a new realm of art creation and I've only began to scratch the surface.

One of my ideas did not pan out and I was quite disappointed at first. The datebook came with an ordinary elastic band to keep it closed. I wanted to modify it but it did not work out like I planned. In the end, I ended up cutting the band off.  It's not needed anyway, but it would have been nice to have an extra touch added.

My other idea came to fruition rather beautifully and was the major source of my fun yesterday. I've built a little clock mechanism look alike on the front cover. Although I've made couple of mistakes along the way, it's working as intended and the clock hands are movable.

First I arranged and glued some gears into place and then I fixed a nut on the top.


The clock hands came in two sizes: one very short and the other very long.  I wanted something in the middle so I took the long hand, cut it shorter and filed it smooth.  The middle clock hand in the picture is the one I modified. 



The last step was screwing the clock hands into place.  I wanted to make sure they were movable and they are.  It took some figuring out how to screw the hands in, since I blocked the surface of the book with the bottom gears.  I ended up filling the nut hole with hot glue which hardened and then I was good to go.




I also ended up adding couple of screws on bottom, partially embedding them into the book for better adhesion. 

As to the back cover,  I decided to keep very simple and flat. After all I have to be able to write in this book.  I only put some gears and a little key at the bottom.


I'm very happy with the finished product.  As a whole this is an ancient mechanical clock tree which due to elapsed time, is suffering some minor disintegration.  


Now that I got my hands wet, I can move on to other art projects.  I've already started on a canvas where I will combine the steampunking elements and paint.  I will update on this in future posts.

More fun to be had! :D


4 comments:

  1. I have to say, your datebook turned out great. I can't wait to see what you're going to do with a blank canvas. That'll be fun.

    I love the changes you made to your blog, too... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice! Great idea, I just love crafting!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crafting is so exciting, isn't it? Thank you Witchy Cats!

      Delete