The moment I got my datebook I couldn't wait to get my hands on it. Yesterday was a quiet day in and a perfect time to get this project started. This is my first time steampunking anything and I don't have a lot of materials on hand but one has to start somewhere, right?
If you remember this is the datebook I started with. It has an awesome tree on it which I thought I could work with.
Like I mentioned, I don't have a lot of materials at the moment but I'm not stressing about that. This is just a small, fun project designed to get my hands dirty and little experienced for other projects I already have ideas for.
Regular superglue had no problem cozying with the paper and the metal, and soon enough the gears were hanging from the tree. Just as soon, my fingers were too, but I detached myself somehow and used the screwdriver to hold pieces in place instead of my fingers.
Fun comes from unexpected places and I found a lot of fun to be had in my husband's tool storage. Lots of screws, bolts, unidentified curiosities and lots of ideas started coming to mind. At first I wished I could cut the screw head off and glue it to the book, but then I thought it would be more fun if I could actually screw it in place. For that I needed small enough screw which I luckily found.
This is where I left it of yesterday. It doesn't seem like much but believe it or not the screw idea took quite a bit of time from trying to get the screw head off to finding a screw small enough to work well here. Today I will continue with the front and get the back cover done as well. I also want to modify the elastic band that keeps the datebook closed. Couple of ideas are running through my head but I'm not sure which one I'll go with yet. One thing is for sure. I haven't had this much fun in a while.