Thursday, January 15, 2015

Of Winter Hiking, Small Houses and Artsy Ideas

“There's a sunrise and a sunset every single day, and they're absolutely free. Don't miss so many of them.” 
-Jo Walton

Happy Thursday my friends! I hope this brand new day finds you in great health and spirit.

The sun is slowly inching away from the horizon as I'm sitting here writing my blog entry. Earlier when I got up, instead of turning on a light, I've lit up a homemade beeswax candle to keep me company until the sunrise.  It's such a wonderful and peaceful feeling to be writing while the candle flame dances with the wick and time seems to be suspended in the moment.  Much better than blasting on a bright light, don't you think?

Outside it's brutally cold which is expected because after all it is January, however, I've been dying to go hiking and hence I'm dreaming of a warmer day or two.  Sadly, I don't see it happening today.  Even though the morning has started out sunny, the forecast for today predicts clouds and -10°C temperatures with winds up to 50 km/h. The temperature in itself is not that bad but the wind could be a deal breaker.  I do have couple of errands to run in a little bit, so I'll take warm clothes with me and if I decide at the spur of the moment to venture out into the woods, I'll have all that I need to keep me warm.

The chill of the January morning has made it into the house as well. The thermostat shows 21°C but it doesn't feel this warm at all. I've put on two sets of wooly socks to keep my feet toasty. I could crank up the heat in the house but ours is not a small house. It would take a lot of energy to heat every square inch and that would be such a waste. The best thing is to just put on an extra layer of clothing, steep some hot tea and stay in the room that feels the warmest.  That, it turns out,  would be the family room which is kept warm with the fireplace and also my office which is small in size and the computer heat makes a lot of difference.

To be honest, I wouldn't mind living in a smaller house;  I would love it.  My dream is to have a land large enough to grow all the food for my family's needs, a little place for a chicken coop and a small house. My hubby agrees on everything except the small house.  The older he gets the bigger house he wants it seems.  To me it's just a waste of money and space.

This morning I picked up a package from the post office.  It contained the watch parts I ordered back in December.  They are small, beautiful and there are so many. They will work great with some of the steampunk ideas that I have.  Maybe later today I can continue working on the canvas I already started in which I will incorporate some of these ideas.  At the present time, I only have a partial background completed and because I want to have different layers of paint, it takes a while to dry them all.  I work with oils, I love their texture and the look they give, but they take a long time to dry.  It's ok, I'm not in any rush. Patience is virtue.

Cheers!



No comments:

Post a Comment