Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Of Sunny Day and Oatmeal Raisin Cookies


Daylight, full of small dancing particles and the one great turning, our souls are dancing with you, without feet, they dance. Can you see them when I whisper in your ear? 
~Rumi

First rays of sun early this morning
Good morning everyone and happy Wednesday!! I hope today finds you in wonderful health and spirit.

As New Yorkers are digging out from the "storm of the century" that never was, here in South Eastern Ontario all the signs are pointing to a beautiful day. We supposed to be blessed with plenty of sunshine and milder temperatures hovering just below the freezing point.  Right now it's still brutally cold with the wind chill somewhere around -25°C but the sun has began inching above the horizon and there is no sign of clouds. The temperature should rise considerably by mid day.

There is only one thing on my mind today and that is to go hiking. I've been waiting for this since last week and I'm glad the weather didn't stray much from the forecasts. So many times I plan for a great day out only to be disappointed when the weather turns rogue. Today I think we hit the jackpot. :)

Now on to the cookies.

Couple of days ago I told you about the oatmeal raisin cookies I wanted to bake as per request from my youngest offspring, Angelina. I was originally going to bake them on Sunday but I realized I was out of rolled oats.  Yesterday I finally got my oats and found a good recipe to try. It had great reviews but many people were complaining of things not going right with the recipe, mainly that the cookies were going flat in the oven. I followed the recipe closely with only couple of slight adjustments and mine turned out great.  Below is my adjusted recipe.

Ingredients that you will need:

3/4 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 3/4 cups rolled oats
1 cup raisins


Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C)

2. In large bowl, cream together butter, white sugar, and brown sugar until smooth. Beat in the eggs and vanilla until fluffy. Stir together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Gradually fold into butter mixture by hand.  Do not use the mixer as you might overwork the dough.  Stir in oats and raisins. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto un-greased cookie sheets.

3. Bake 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven, or until golden brown. Cool slightly, remove from sheet to wire rack. Cool completely.


The original recipe is available here with a lot of great reviews.  The only changes I made is that I did not use the mixer when adding the flour mixture to the wet ingredients.  I folded the flour in by hand and then added the oats and the raisins.  I also added a little bit less sugar, 1/2 cup each of of white and brown instead of 3/4 cup.  My cookies came out picture perfect and are so delicious!

Now if you'll excuse me I'll finish my yummy hot green tea and head outside.  The sun is shining, it's a gorgeous day and I don't want to miss a minute of it. 

Cheers!

2 comments:

  1. Hello Kamyria...Your photo is spectacular! The cookies look absolutely yummy.

    And I want to thank you for your sweet visit today, too! Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome Susan. Thank you for your visit as well :)

      Delete