Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Of Mid Winter Nostalgia and Food Growing


The color of springtime is in the flowers; the color of winter is in the imagination. 
~Terri Guillemets


Brrr... It's frigid cold out there this morning, the coldest we've seen so far this season.  The thermometer plunged to -20°C and with the wind chill it feels like -30°C.

It's hard to believe we are already almost half way through January.  How the time flies!

Just last night I realized that despite being in the middle of winter there is only about 2.5 months left before I can start my garden.  How amazing is that! Well, of course I'm not talking about planting anything outside but sometime at the end of the March I will start tomato seedlings indoors.  That means, now it's time to look through my seed collection and make sure I have everything I need for the upcoming season and if not, now it's the time to order.  I only plant organic heirloom seeds so I can't really wait until some show up in the stores because organic seed collection in stores tends to be limited.

I've been gardening for several years now and last year, despite very cold summer, I've had the biggest harvest yet.  Plenty of tomatoes, cucumbers, potatoes, green beans, strawberries, zucchini, sweet and hot peppers, lettuce and other.  I grow anything I possibly can, anything that my family will eat.  My largest harvest is that of tomatoes which I freeze and use during cold winter months for soups, pastas and many other dishes.  It's January and we still have plenty left.  Nothing better than tomatoes from your own garden when everything in site is covered with a thick blanket of snow.

It feels so weird in the dead of winter to look at the last year's harvest because it almost feels like a whole other world.  I wanted to share some memories though, so here are few pickings from last summer:


Tomatoes

Juneberries

Black and red cherry tomatoes

Raspberries

Potatoes

Cucumbers

Zucchini

Just few minutes ago I went into the garden for a mid winter check and some photo snapping.  It was brutally cold out there and everything is pretty much frozen solid.  To my greatest joy, the brussels sprout plants were hiding some small sprouts which must have grown a little during our warm holiday weather.  The last time I checked them was in November and I pretty much picked most that could be picked at that time.  Today, whole bunch of little ones were sitting up the top of the plants and they were definitely bigger than the last time I saw them.  Even though they are mini sprouts, there is enough of them to make a great addition to the veggies for today's dinner.  I was also able to pick some kale.   Harvesting on the coldest day in the winter.  What can be better than that?

Brussels Sprout Plants

Mini Brussels Sprouts

Kale

As am slowly getting ready for the new growing season, I'm also getting ready for a new venture.  I wanted to do this last year but somehow I never worked up to it.  I'm considering setting up a YouTube channel to record my food growing journey.  My youngest daughter Angel was thrilled when she found out I was thinking about that because she has a channel of her own and she would love to help me with mine. :D  First order of business would be to come up with a channel name.

Time to brainstorm!


No comments:

Post a Comment