Thursday, January 22, 2015

Of Life's Simple Pleasures and Visit to the Waterfalls

“A lady once offered me a mat, but as I had no room to spare within the house, nor time to spare within or without to shake it, I declined it, preferring to wipe my feet on the sod before my door. It is best to avoid the beginnings of evil.” 
- Henry David Thoreau, Walden



Sometimes I wish I could have a remote control for life. Sort of like Michael in the 2006 movie "Click". Press the button and stop life. Stop the traffic, stop the hustling, stop the rush and madness that human life has become. Wouldn't that be something.

The older I get the more I realize that I'm not made for the world humanity created. I'm not interested in expensive cars, big houses, fancy clothes and all other bells and whistles.  I couldn't care less about the money and what "happiness" it could buy me. Progress to me has a different meaning and I dream of a simpler world.

If you gave me a whole wad of cash and told me to choose between going on a shopping spree or giving up the cash and going backpacking into the woods, you know what my choice would be?


Without a doubt, backpacking.

There is something magical about the nature and our connection with it and with every passing day my understanding of this connection grows deeper.

You see, nature is our remote control of life. The time stops amongst wilderness, everything and everyone becomes suspended in the moment.  There are no stressed people rushing by to get to whatever they need to get to.  There is no traffic speeding by.  There is no sound of cash registers and shuffling of money.  There is no tomorrow, there is no yesterday, there is only NOW and right now, in the dead of winter, all wild life rests and recuperates.

How much I wish humans could do that.

For now I'll have to make do with temporary escapes, like the one yesterday into the local waterfalls.

Hamilton has over 120 waterfalls hidden all over the city and on the outskirts. I've seen many of them but not all and some are pretty special.

Borer's Falls are one of these. Spectacular 15 metre falls meeting no less spectacular gorge. In the summer I usually bring lunch and sit near the edge of the falls for a little while while I eat. It's nerve wrecking to be so close to the edge and yet so very serene at the same time. That's what I call simple life, simple pleasures.

In the winter the falls turn into a breathtaking ice sculpture.  Drop after drop falls and freezes over time adding its contribution to this magnificent art project.  Nature is the most creative artist, don't you think?

I could stand there and admire the falls all day long and listen to its hypnotising song.  It's always hard to pull away.

The gorge has couple of trails running along side of it.  For the last couple of years I've been trying to find a side trail that leads into the valley and gets close to the bottom of the falls but I don't think there is one.  Instead it seems like I'm going to have to find a safe passage off the beaten path.   I think I might have found a potential good spot but it will involve a little more investigation.  With some rope it appears to be doable and I could go for it as long as it doesn't require any mountain climbing.  I'm not quite that advanced.

As I was walking yesterday, I came up with an idea to record little snippets of my walk and put them together into a video montage when I get home.  It's not my finest project but I think it adequately conveys the emotions.  Next time I go hiking I'll do it again and it will probably be a bit better.  I'll have better idea of what to record and for how long.  Yesterday when I started putting my video together I realized that some clips could have be been shorter and some could have been longer. Also, I have to remember to speak more clearly although when it's really cold out, you think you speaking loud and clear until you hear yourself during the playback.  Ha ha ha .. Hopefully next time I'll get it right.  As I always say, practice makes perfect.  I hope you enjoy it.  Cheers!






No comments:

Post a Comment