Monday, January 19, 2015

Of Failed Walks and Peanut Butter Cookies

Think what a better world it would be if we all, the whole world, had cookies and milk about three o'clock every afternoon and then lay down on our blankets for a nap.
Barbara Jordan





I didn't go for my nature walk yesterday after all. It started raining, then snowing and the whole world appeared in miserable state of affairs of sorts.  Even Hercules turned and walked away when I opened the door to the backyard for him.  He wouldn't have any of it.

The walk was not meant to be, but I had no problem filling that spare time.  I baked some awesome peanut butter cookies and finally satisfied the craving I had for weeks.   There are many different recipes for peanut butter cookies out there but I was looking for the original, classic peanut butter cookie, just like the ones I remember baking many years ago.  Not too crunchy and not too soft, but just right and a mouthful of wonderful peanut butter flavour the moment you bite into it.  Yum!

Ingredients:

2.5 cups of all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
0.5 tsp salt
1 cup of butter, softened
1 cup of peanut butter
1 cup of white sugar
1 cup of brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp of vanilla

Directions:

Heat the oven to 350°F

Mix flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; set aside. Beat butter, peanut butter and sugars in large bowl with mixer until light and fluffy. Blend in eggs and vanilla. Gradually add flour mixture, beating well after each addition.  

My batter turned out be be rather crumbly so there came a time when I couldn't use mixer and had to get my hands dirty and knead that dough.




After mixing well, form balls of dough and flatten them.  Press fork into them in criss-cross pattern.



Bake in the oven for 10 minutes or until golden brown.  Cool for 5 minutes and then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.



The end result was quite delicious.  I got 33 cookies out of this recipe which is a lot.  Not to worry though, cookies go fast at my house.  As a matter of fact, they are disappearing at accelerated rate of speed already.

Cheers!



2 comments:

  1. Yes, I would definitely love the idea of cookies and a nap every afternoon. Who do we have to see to get that started?...lol.

    I also copied and pasted your peanut butter cookie recipe in my recipe folder so thanks for sharing it. I can't wait to try it... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dee!! Yes... cookies and nap. I know it's doable... I'm sure of it. :D

      Delete