Friday, January 23, 2015

My Skin is My Canvas


A lot of my friends have tattoos; I realized that it's not only just a part of pop culture, but a bit of a map on someone's body, which says something about people. A part of their life, like an armor or a crest.
- Christian Louboutin




Every once in a while a topic of tattoos comes up in the family conversation.  The topic is quite a loaded one where it comes to my husband however.  Whenever I mention that I would like to get one, he gets that face my grandma would give me if she caught me swearing in church.

Oh no!  You don't!

Yes I do.  

What can I say.  I was raised in respectable, Christian family and taught that only questionable element of society decorates their own skin in art.  Sure enough, growing up I never saw any tattoos on teachers, priests, government officials or other respectable professionals.  It was widely accepted that if you wanted to get a good job, you had to keep your skin clean.  I never said anything, just politely accepted elder wisdom.  Something tells me my husband was brought up exactly the same way.

Today I have a much different view on this topic.  Unlike my husband, I broke through the conditioning and the stigma.  I don't see anything wrong with tattoos. They are nothing but a piece of art on a human body canvas. Why should it be wrong for people to express themselves by decorating the only thing they truly own - their skin?

I find people with tattoos interesting and I live vicariously through them.  The time is quickly coming, when I'm going to get my own body art and when that day comes, no one will be able to stop me.

Two of my adult daughters already have tattoos.  Sara, my oldest one, got her tattoo several years ago, as soon as she turned 18.  I still remember the big day, how excited she was and how proudly she showed it off.  She still feels the same way today.

"Each day I am born again"

Sheila, my third oldest one, got a tattoo of her own couple of years later, when she also turned 18. For her too, it was a big deal and the day she did it, just like Sara's, is etched in my memory.


"Believe in the best of people"

I like what both of my girls have done.  Their tattoos are a tribute to their personality, phrases taken straight from the journal of their lives.  They live by them every day.

Now I feel is my turn.  I've been thinking for a long time what I would like to express on my body and where.  The back, where the neck meets the shoulders, has always been my top pick. Another spot could be the tops of my feet, even though that is quite more painful and difficult to heal.

As to tattoo design, the sun and the moon is at the top of my list.  If the tattoo is on my back I would merge the sun with the moon, but if it's on my feet it would be separate; moon on one foot and the sun on the other.  Below are some examples taken from the internet.

I don't know when this day is going to come; I guess when the time is right and when I work up the nerve to do it.   It's not that I'm scared, but to me, just like it was for my girls, tattoo is a big deal and I want to be absolutely certain of all the details involved.  Where am I going to do it, who will be the artist, what is the design and what part of the body.  These are all important questions for which I don't have a solid answer yet.

Feet Tattoos

http://www.tattoobite.com/nice-sun-and-moon-tattoos-on-feet/



Back of Neck Tattoo

http://women-tattoo.net/small-tattoo-ideas-on-neck/

By the way, the first photograph in this post is of Rick Genest aka the Zombie Boy and the most tattooed man on the Earth.  The video below is of his Dermablend commercial.  Pretty mind blowing. Enjoy.





2 comments:

  1. Although I write a lot about alternative fashion, the one subject I don't touch is tattoos. It's not that I feel people shouldn't get them, it's just that after I attempted to become a tattoo apprentice I learned things about the industry that were seriously dissatisfying.

    It's nice that people want to get tattoos, but very few individuals consider the risks of it, or really take the time to think about what they're getting put on their body. They never think about position, design, or colour, they just assume the artist knows best, which well over half the time isn't the case. Tattoo artistry has become a job for the slacker or high school drop out who had (and still doesn't have) any artistic skill. All the professionals get washed out by the overabundance of bad artists in this industry. Sadly so many people don't think to look through portfolios, ask questions, and find out whether or not they're dealing with a competent artist. They'll opt for the cheaper artist and come away with garbage looking tattoos that will stretch and fade over time.

    If you're seriously considering getting a tattoo, I implore you to do extensive research about the artist, don't cheap out on it, and meditate on your selected design for a good long time before getting it done! You deserve a good tattoo. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for a well thought out comment Ladyfair. That's precisely why I didn't get one yet. I have to have all the logistics worked out to my satisfaction. :)

      Delete