Monday, January 5, 2015

Morning reflections on the first school day of the year

“Morning is wonderful. Its only drawback is that it comes at such an inconvenient time of day.” 
Gleen Cook, Sweet Silver Blues


7:15 am

Good morning my dear friends.  I can't believe I'm up once again at this ungodly hour (by that I mean any hour before the sunrise).  The holidays are now completely over and we are all shoved back into mundane reality.

Today is first school day for our young ones in this new year.  Yesterday I wondered how in the world we'll manage to wake up on time, as both my little girl and I are not morning people.  During holidays we stay up late, sleep in late and enjoy every minute of it.  Over the last several days I tried to put us back on the school schedule but it wasn't working out so well.

As it turned out, I didn't need to worry.  Promptly at 7:00 am when my alarm went off, the lights in my room were blasted and Angel walked in with the smile on her face.  I sat up in the bed dazed and confused, trying to understand where I am and what's going on.  She then explained that she couldn't sleep most of the night and since 5 am she was completely awake, waiting for me to get up.  Lovely. I hope she doesn't fall asleep at school.

My night was not any better though.  At 5 am I was asleep but not for very long.  I think it must have been around 4:30 that I finally managed to slip into the dreamland.  If I do the math right, that means that I have just about 2.5 hours of sleep under my belt this morning.  Strangely enough, I don't feel that tired but I bet both of us will fall face first into bed early tonight.  I wonder, was it that circalunar clock together with anticipation that kept both Angel and I awake last night?

Speaking of circalunar clocks and the full moon, I managed to snap several photos of the full moon after all.  In the strangest turn of events, the clouds receded last night about 10 pm and allowed some full moon to peak through for several hours.  Miracles do happen it seems.

9:30 am

It is unfathomably frigid outside this morning.  As I watched the sun come out and illuminate our miserable world earlier, I thought I could take some photos on the way back from driving my daughter to school.  My excitement was short lived though. Sure the sun was out, but the countryside turned out to be less than captivating with barely any snow on the ground and unforgivably cold wind chilling every bone in my body.  It was nearly impossible to stay out of the truck for longer than a minute.  Upon return I checked the weather reports and sure enough, with the wind blowing at 50 km/h it feels like -24°C out there.  It's quite a change to go from above freezing yesterday to this madness in less than 24 hours.  Our bodies don't have time to adjust.

I wanted a photo really badly so instead of taking a breathtaking snapshot of the snow covered countryside like I wanted, I took a snapshot of some winter survivors backlit by the morning sun.


Now it's time to settle down and enjoy my freshly steeped green tea from my brand new polka dotted teapot.  I love stopping by the second hand shop every once in a while and yesterday on the way from the grocery shopping I did just that.  This lovely teapot was deserving of its very own post in my tea blog Paradise In My Teacup. Stop by if you have a minute to spare. Time with tea is never wasted. :)



No comments:

Post a Comment