Friday, January 2, 2015

"Freedom From The Known". Can you handle it?


“Freedom is a state of mind - not freedom from something but a sense of freedom, a freedom to doubt and question everything and therefore so intense, active and vigorous that it throws away every form of dependence, slavery, conformity and acceptance. Such freedom implies being completely alone. But can the mind brought up in a culture so dependent on environment and its own tendencies ever find that freedom which is complete solitude and in which there is no leadership, no tradition and no authority?”
Excerpt From: Jiddu Krishnamurti, "Freedom from the Known"


Jiddu Krishnamurti is one of the most incredible philosophers I've ever read. He's really put to the test my entire belief system and I couldn't be happier.

"Freedom From The Known" challenges all that we know, all that we've been taught, in other words, all the conditioning we've received since we were born. Is is possible or even advisable to get rid of all that conditioning? I doubt it. We need a great deal of it to survive but when does this conditioning cease to be of value and instead becomes a hindrance preventing us from being everything we could be?

I started reading Krishnamurti about a year ago and at first was astonished by his statements.  They seemed outrageous to our current state of thinking, especially in the West.  Over time and a lot of soul searching, I understood where he was coming from and I have shed a lot of load, which I call garbage, that society has forced into my head. The most incredible thing happened when I started asking myself questions of why do I believe or fear certain things. I realized that I was taught to believe or fear them.  I realized that from the moment we are born we are taught this is how the world works, there is no other way and we must follow.  And follow is what we do, unquestionably and undeniably. First we follow our parents and then we follow our "leaders". If you ask me, there is too much following going on in the world today which has led to a lot of pain and suffering.

"Freedom From the Known" provokes a new way of thinking.  It challenges the reader to shed some of the beliefs, conditioning and the fears. It feels wonderful when one does just that.  Even a little bit is a good start.  To all that are ready, I highly recommend this book.


No comments:

Post a Comment