Friday, January 30, 2015

Everyone, meet Oliver


There is something about the presence of a cat... that seems to take the bite out of being alone. 
~Louis J. Camuti


Happy Friday everyone!  I am thrilled the school week is over and tomorrow morning there will be nothing but a glorious sleep in time. I've been going to bed pretty late every night this week and I'm beginning to feel a little sleep deprived.

Now on to the topic of today's post.  So who exactly is Oliver?

Oliver is my son's cat.  Few days ago my son moved in with us after years of living with his father - my ex-husband. I'm really happy to have this happen after all these years and the added bonus was that he didn't come alone.

Moving in with my son is his cat Oliver. Oliver was born on May 24, 2011 to a Siamese mom and unknown dad making him half Siamese and incredibly adorable. He is solid grey in colour, slim and moderate size.  He'll be turning four years of age this spring.

If anything stands out about Oliver it's that he loves his food. He eats everything in sight and then some more. In contrast to Hercules who is picky, Oliver eats everything that can be chewed and swallowed. He is a real go-getter in this regard as I find out sometimes when I catch Oliver jumping down from the counter in the kitchen. I don't think he got the memo of the rules in this house yet.  We'll have to work on getting him caught up I guess. :D

Undoubtedly, Oliver comes with his own set of quirks.  I guess all cats have them and I'm excited to learn them all now that he is here full time.

For one, he loves to be stretched. Whenever he wakes up from a nap, my son always picks him up by
the shoulders and Oliver stretches his long thin body like a wet noodle. It's really fun to watch.

Another one of his pleasures is to have his armpits scratched.  That one I just learned about yesterday.  I was around when this little session was going on and snapped a quick photo.   He was really enjoying himself.  Isn't that adorable?

Now I hope that with another kitty in the house, Hercules doesn't get too jealous.   He knows Oliver very well because my son visited very often when he was living with his father and he always brought Oliver with him for sleepovers. Although they are both very different cats, Hercules and Oliver get along very well.  Still, I'm sure that a little extra attention I can give Hercules will be appreciated.  After all, having another kitty living with us full time will be an adjustment for Hercules who is very much to himself kind of cat.  Now he will have to share his space full time, not just on weekends.

In the spirit of extra attention, here is a snap of Hercules sleeping beside me on the chair at this very moment.  Maybe he's dreaming of spring time when he can go outside and chase critters and birds around the yard?  Maybe he is dreaming about snacks o'plenty? Or maybe he is dreaming about Oliver taking too long in the litter box.

Whatever his dreams are, he looks very peaceful indeed.






Now, let me switch the gears for a moment.

Yesterday I put together and uploaded a short snapshot/video montage of my hiking on Wednesday and I've updated yesterday's post to include it.  I'm also posting it down below.  Take a look if you have couple of minutes to spare.

Cheers!








8 comments:

  1. Oh my your cats are cute cute cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Getting scratched under his arms? Oliver does have some funny habits. That was a pretty cool video that you put together of your walk, too. Those were great shots of the deer... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Dee! It was very surreal when these deer came out of nowhere and walked up so close... I almost had to pinch myself. :D

      Delete
  3. Oliver is beautiful ... both cats are just too preicous! I love all cats, but I do prefer neutered males over females any day for the most part. I have found that our males tend to get along MUCH, MUCH better living and sharing their "space" together than our females who do nothing but continue to fight over territory no matter what we do.

    Enjoy them, there is nothing like the company of a cat .. or two... LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Lady! We only have males in our family and they all get along amazingly well. My kids bring their cats over from time to time with no issues whatsoever. During Christmas we usually have 4 cats under our roof. :D

      Delete