Sunday, December 28, 2014

The Night Owl

"Night time is really the best time to work. All the ideas are there to be yours because everyone else is asleep."
Catherine O'Hara

It's 3 am while I sit here and write my next blog post. Most of the house is asleep but I remain awake clicking away on my keyboard. I am what they call a night owl, awake till wee hours of the morning doing who knows what but I enjoy every minute of it.

My hubby likes to go to sleep around 9 pm but for me the fun just begins at that time. I don't know what it is about the night that I find so soothing and magical but it surely feels wonderful.

Now, during the holiday period I feel especially blessed. The school is out for holiday break and that means I don't have to wake up early in the morning to get my daughter off to the school bus. I can stay up later and then sleep in since she is sleeping in too.  We have one week of this bliss left.

I find that during the night is when the best thoughts come. Sometimes out of nowhere I'm flooded with multitude of perfectly formed sentences begging to be assembled into thoughtful essays on life. I truly don't know where they are coming from, though it feels like someone is dictating them to me. Is it my subconscious?

The stillness of the night captivates me. The silence is broken only by the gentle purrs of the cat nestled in the corner of my bed. Eventually my eyelids grow heavy and I drift away departing for the dreamland from which I shall soon return.

Night, night


2 comments:

  1. Have the benefits of being both self-employed and on school break, I am able to sleep until near sundown, and get most of my work done at night. Carpe Noctem.

    ReplyDelete