Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Of Early Birthday Presents and The New iPhone 6

I caved in and I don't know how I feel about it yet but I think I like it.

Few days ago while Christmas shopping at Best Buy I saw the iPhone 6 on sale for only $127 with the two year contract.  I brought this to my hubby's attention who was asking earlier what I wanted for my birthday coming up in 3 days.  $127 is a little more than I would like to spend for my birthday but I was hoping to reduce it a little bit by turning in my existing iPhone.  

My hubby was happy with the idea and this morning we went to get a closer look at this new gadget. What can I say.  It was nice.  Really nice.

I was able to turn in my old phone and received additional $50 off, making the iPhone cost only $77.  
That is a deal I can live with and my mind should once again be at peace.  But is it?

I don't usually run and get the newest and best stuff that comes out.  I'm not part of that crowd. Everything I buy I keep it for a long time and run it into the ground before I decide it's time for a change.  I have one exception. When it comes to my computer or the phone, I like to keep these reasonably updated.

I've had my iPhone 4 for four years now and it's still working just fine.  It's very slow and I can no longer upgrade to the latest iOS but it's still working.  I told myself a long time ago that I will upgrade when iPhone 6 comes out.  Evidently, I lied.  When iPhone 6 appeared on the market couple of months ago, I tried to talk myself out of it again.  The price tag was expensive and the phone had bending issues.  I figured I could wait few more months to see what comes out next.

It's time to admit something.  I don't want to wait any longer.   With technology moving forward as quickly as it does these days, the future model will always sound more exciting than the current one. Now with the prices falling I think enough is enough, I might as well go for it.  

And as to the bending issue?  A hardshell case should blast that into non-existence.

So why is it that I'm sitting here, rambling on and trying to rationalize this new purchase?  Why is it that I can't just enjoy my new toy and go on with my life?  I don't know.  Maybe it's because I've lost touch with the material things in my life.  They don't matter that much any more.  Getting a new phone seems a little .... hypocritical.

Sometimes is hard to be me inside my own head.




No comments:

Post a Comment