Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Lets get steampunking

I've wanted to do this for so long. Gather up some used gear and create steampunk art. I don't know how it's going to turn out but I'm pretty excited about it.

What is steampunk? Some of you will know but others maybe won't. Steampunk is defined as:

A genre of science fiction that typically features steam-powered machinery rather than advanced technology.

In short, steampunk is a Victorian science fiction. The trend is not new but it hasn't hit the mainstream yet. For now it roams the realms shared with gothic subculture, its spooky cousin.  There is steampunk jewelry, steampunk art and steampunk fashion to name a few.

Steampunk Art of Mechanical Animal by Russian artist Vladimir Gvozdev

Steampunk Cogs Necklace by JewelryWeds on Etsy

A rabbit sculpture made by Susan Beatrice

Steampunk is a dream for any tinker with artistic tendencies like myself. Taking old mechanical items apart and reinventing their purpose is not just just fun, it's exhilarating. It takes me back to my teenaged years when I used to take broken things apart to see how they were designed inside and to see if maybe I could fix them. These days I like to poke around in my computer and change the parts when needed if I can.  There is definitely a tinker's blood running through my veins. Steampunk wise, till now I mostly enjoyed it through art and computer games. I think it's time to move on and get my hands a little dirty.

Yesterday I scored three watches at the local thrift shop. They were cheap enough to justify the purchase and I needed some practice. Two of them were water resistant. I can already hear some of you laugh at me. Yes. So far I was able to open only one of the the two.  One word of advice: water resistant watches do not open easily. If they did they wouldn't be water resistant, would they?  The gears are not great in these newer watches but the watch faces are beautiful and I already have a project in mind for them.

Some of my starting steampunk items


I also ordered a 40g lot of watch gears from eBay and got a package of fake gears from Michael's art store.  All of that should be enough to get me started on some projects.  I will continue hunting down old items of my own and I'm thinking garage sales during spring and summer should provide me with some interesting loot.

I'm really excited for this.  This is the happy marriage of my love for art with my tinkering tendencies. Time will tell what I can come up with.  Over the holidays I won't have a lot of time to spend on art but my hands are itching to get started and as soon as the rush is over I will give it the time it requires.

I can't wait.

2 comments:

  1. I've never heard of this type if art, but I think it sounds fascinating. I really like the pictures you shared, too. I think that rabbit is my favorite. I'm curious to see what you come up with so I'll definitely stay tuned. Merry Christmas to you and your family... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The rabbit is amazing, isn't it? I can't wait to have a little time to start on this, I'm sure it will be a lot of fun. Merry Christmas Dee!

      Delete